mkichar

Default Linking an entire worksheet from a restricted drive?

Ok, what I need to do, is while I'm editing my spreadsheet on my
restricted hard drive, I need an exact copy of that spread sheet pasted
on a shared drive. I know I can get links, however if I link data from
the shared drive spread sheet, to my restricted drive - when people hit
'update links' it will tell them access denied due to the file
permissions on my restricted drive. I need the spread sheet I am
working on, to make every change I do to the other spread sheet, and I
need this fully automatic. It's between two different workbooks, etc.
This spread sheet will also be open most of the day so I cannot wait
until I save, etc. I need it to be fully automatic. Any ideas?

--
mkichar
mkichar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16073

Harlan Grove

"mkichar" wrote...
Ok, what I need to do, is while I'm editing my spreadsheet on my
restricted hard drive, I need an exact copy of that spread sheet pasted
on a shared drive. I know I can get links, however if I link data from
the shared drive spread sheet, to my restricted drive - when people hit
'update links' it will tell them access denied due to the file
permissions on my restricted drive. I need the spread sheet I am
working on, to make every change I do to the other spread sheet, and I
need this fully automatic. It's between two different workbooks, etc.
This spread sheet will also be open most of the day so I cannot wait
until I save, etc. I need it to be fully automatic. Any ideas?

What do you mean by 'restricted hard drive'? A volume on a disk drive inside
your own PC or a network share with highly restricted permissions for all
users but you? It appears to be the latter, but confirmation would be
useful.

What are the file permissions for other users?

I believe you'd need a shared workbook on the shared drive which you'd also
need to use in order to make this work. Alternatively, you could try using
bi-directional automation, but you'd need to program your own deadlock
prevention.

Sounds like you may need 3 workbooks to accomplish this. Your own
'restricted' one, a copy of it on a shared drive with Read but not Write
permission, and the workbook the other users are already using which would
need to be changed to reference the new intermediate shared copy of your
restricted file. You'd need to save your changes, i.e., save your restricted
workbook after making changes. Then use a script to copy your restricted
workbook as the intermediate shared file. This could be accomplished by an
Excel macro which performs the save and copy.