WendyMc

Default Look up or Index?

I have a spreadsheet which shows students results, and I would like to be
able to lookup the results colum, find the student with the highest grade,
then tell me the name of the student so that I can send them a
congratulations email! Probably a very simple operation, but one I am
struggling with. Any help would be much appreciated.
Wendy
Govind

Lets say your student names are in cells A1:A5 and the results are in
cells B1:B5, then use this formula to find out the student with the
highest result:

=OFFSET(B1,MATCH(MAX($B$2:$B$5),$B$2:$B$5,0),-1)

Change the formula as per your actual data range.

Regards

Govind