Jack Edwards

Default Parsing text in Excel

In Excel, how do I break up text in 1 cell and put the parts in other cells?

Say I have the text ABCDEF in one cell and I want AB in a cell, C in other
cell, and DEF in a third cell. Is there a function or other way to do this?
Jay

In Excel, how do I break up text in 1 cell and put the parts in other
cells? ...

Check out the functions LEFT, MID, and RIGHT in Excel's built-in Help.
Don Guillett

Have a look at LEFT, MID, & RIGHT functions which you can use in formulas or
macros to do this. something like this.

for each c in selection
c.offset(0,1)=left(c,2)
c.offset(0,2)=mid(c,3,3)
'etc
next

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Jack Edwards" <Jack
wrote in message
In Excel, how do I break up text in 1 cell and put the parts in other

cells?

Say I have the text ABCDEF in one cell and I want AB in a cell, C in other
cell, and DEF in a third cell. Is there a function or other way to do

this?

K.S.Warrier

hi,
You may use the clipboard from the edit menu.Select the cell containing
ABCDEF.Select the required potion 'AB' on the function tab, click edit menu,
& click copy.By this,AB is copied to the clipboard.Similarly the other part
portions C & DEF can also be selected & copied to the clipboard.Then select
the cell in which you want AB to be shown.Please click the required item from
the clipboardSimilarly,do this for other values also.
Thank you,
K.S.Warrier