Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
johnh

Default comparing two rows, then highting?

I use excel to make up lists of keywords.

I enter a different word (or several words) to the first
cell only in each row, but as there can be hundreds of
rows, I'm looking for a quick way to identify (back
ground colour perhaps) rows with matching words
(after doing an alphabetical sort, so matching rows
are together) so I can delete the duplicates.

Can I reiterate... One column of words, each word
on a separate row. Only using column A

I don't know what the duplicates will be, hence
looking for a clever way out.
Example

eggs
beans
beans chips
carrots
carrot *
carrot *
shed
barn door
barns
wheel *
wheel *
tomatoes

What I'm looking for, is the two lines (or at least
the one) of 'carrot' to be identified. There could be
many duplications or pairs. So further down the
column, there could be cheese on one row, then
cheese again on the next row, or even two occurrences
of wheel, as seen above.

Am I being too ambitious?

Any help appreciated, oh.. KIS please :o)

Thanks in advance of any help and guidance you can give.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Bill Manville

Assuming your keywords run from A1 downwards
In B1 enter =COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)1
and fill this formula down column B.

Then use Data / Filter / AutoFilter and select TRUE in column B
The rows visible will all be duplicate entries.

Select the whole filtered table except for the first row.
Edit / Goto / Special / Visible Cells Only
Edit / Delete / Entire Row

Data / Filter / AutoFilter to reveal the remaining unique items.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
johnh

Hi Bill,

Just what I was looking for :o)

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

John