ExcelMonkey

Default Function to return colour of formatted cell

I am building a colour key for a a model to note which cells have bee
imputted by which people. As a result I want to set up say 6 colours
in a legend and then run a macro to count the existence of each colour
in the model. A coutif based on colour if you will.

Is there an information function in Excel which will return the colour
format of a cell. For example:

Info(A1) = 2 [2 meaning a particular colour format which is evident in
cell A1]

Or should I just go the VBA route with a custom function since I will
be building a routine to count the colours anyway?

Thanks.

--
ExcelMonkey
ExcelMonkey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5221

Frank Stone

hi,
I know of no function that will do this. VB Code is about
the only way i have found. if you want to put the counts
in a summary section, you will have to use a select case
for each color you use.(or an if then else chain)
other wise you can use a helper column to record the color
index value on each row then use the countif function on
the helper column.
Regards
Frank

--------------
ExcelMonkey's Profile:

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?
action=getinfo&userid=5221
View this thread:

.

Ron de Bruin

Hi ExcelMonkey

Look on this two sites
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"ExcelMonkey" wrote in message ...

I am building a colour key for a a model to note which cells have bee
imputted by which people. As a result I want to set up say 6 colours
in a legend and then run a macro to count the existence of each colour
in the model. A coutif based on colour if you will.

Is there an information function in Excel which will return the colour
format of a cell. For example:

Info(A1) = 2 [2 meaning a particular colour format which is evident in
cell A1]

Or should I just go the VBA route with a custom function since I will
be building a routine to count the colours anyway?

Thanks.

--
ExcelMonkey
ExcelMonkey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5221
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=274186

Gord Dibben

See Chip Pearson's site for working with colors code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP