Scooterdog

Default <>

I want to copy a simple worksheet to a new one under a different name.
I open the original worksheet and select the cells and rows that
contain both the formulas and answers I want to transfer.
I then select edit and copy. Then I go to the new worksheet and
paste. To my surprise, the formulas do not transfer; but the answers
do show up in the new worksheet.
What do I have to do in order to get the formulas transferred along
with the answers? This I have never encountered before.
Kind of a embarrassing question to ask. I use MS Office 2000 and
just purchased a Ipaq rx3115 for work.
Thank you for your time....
JulieD

Hi Scooterdog

unusual .. so in cell A3 on the original workbook you have a formula like
=A1+A2
and when you copy column A and paste it in the new workbook (using simple
edit / copy & then edit / paste - not paste special or anything) what do you
see in the formula bar for A3 when you click on it?

For me, it copies the formula =A1+A2 into cell A3 on the new workbook. If
however, i choose edit / copy & then edit / paste special - values, it
behaves as you described.

You might like to check using the above scenario on a new workbook copied to
another new workbook to see if it is Excel or the source workbook causing
problems.

Please let us know how you go

Cheers
JulieD

"Scooterdog" wrote in message
I want to copy a simple worksheet to a new one under a different name.
I open the original worksheet and select the cells and rows that
contain both the formulas and answers I want to transfer.
I then select edit and copy. Then I go to the new worksheet and
paste. To my surprise, the formulas do not transfer; but the answers
do show up in the new worksheet.
What do I have to do in order to get the formulas transferred along
with the answers? This I have never encountered before.
Kind of a embarrassing question to ask. I use MS Office 2000 and
just purchased a Ipaq rx3115 for work.
Thank you for your time....

Scooterdog

Thanks for the reply. This morning I tried this again...
It worked as it should. Yesterday, if a1=1 and a2=1, I got
the answer of 2-BUT-NO Formula like =a1+a2 in the a3 cell.
Maybe something was running in the background. Thans again
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:38:30 +0800, "JulieD"
wrote:

Hi Scooterdog

unusual .. so in cell A3 on the original workbook you have a formula like
=A1+A2
and when you copy column A and paste it in the new workbook (using simple
edit / copy & then edit / paste - not paste special or anything) what do you
see in the formula bar for A3 when you click on it?

For me, it copies the formula =A1+A2 into cell A3 on the new workbook. If
however, i choose edit / copy & then edit / paste special - values, it
behaves as you described.

You might like to check using the above scenario on a new workbook copied to
another new workbook to see if it is Excel or the source workbook causing
problems.

Please let us know how you go

Cheers
JulieD

"Scooterdog" wrote in message
.. .
I want to copy a simple worksheet to a new one under a different name.
I open the original worksheet and select the cells and rows that
contain both the formulas and answers I want to transfer.
I then select edit and copy. Then I go to the new worksheet and
paste. To my surprise, the formulas do not transfer; but the answers
do show up in the new worksheet.
What do I have to do in order to get the formulas transferred along
with the answers? This I have never encountered before.
Kind of a embarrassing question to ask. I use MS Office 2000 and
just purchased a Ipaq rx3115 for work.
Thank you for your time....

JulieD

Hi Scooterdog

maybe calculation was set to manual (tools / options / calculation) ... this
is set by the first workbook that you open in the session and would cause
the behaviour you outlined - anyway, glad its solved.

Regards

wrote:

[...]

. ..
I want to copy a simple worksheet to a new one under a different name.
I open the original worksheet and select the cells and rows that
contain both the formulas and answers I want to transfer.
I then select edit and copy. Then I go to the new worksheet and
paste. To my surprise, the formulas do not transfer; but the answers
do show up in the new worksheet.
What do I have to do in order to get the formulas transferred along
with the answers? This I have never encountered before.
Kind of a embarrassing question to ask. I use MS Office 2000 and
just purchased a Ipaq rx3115 for work.
Thank you for your time....

Scooterdog

Well, I "THOUGHT" everything was working right on this problem.
The same thing happened again AFTER I wrote you saying all was well.
Question: Can a formula be to long for the Ipaq? The formula I want
to use is 143 characters.
It is only on the Ipaq that I am having the problem. The desktop is
fine.
Is there a way to send you a copy of this problem from the Ipaq?
I don't know how this would be done. I could show you the formula's
from the computer, but again, it's on the Ipaq.
Thank you for your time