Jim Johnson

Default How do I automatically shade cells depending on data entered?

Can I automatically shade a range of cells when certain text is typed into a
specific cell?
Bob Phillips

You can set those cells up with conditional formatting, with a formula of
say =$A$1="abc" and set the pattern colour.

--

HTH

RP

"Jim Johnson" wrote in message
Can I automatically shade a range of cells when certain text is typed into

specific cell?

Jim Johnson

Hi Bob,

Can you give me an example of the formula if I wanted to shade cells A1 to
H1 depending on the text in cell G1? Also, how do you set the pattern fill?
Will it simply fill with the default color? If so, how do you change the
default color?

Thanks,
Jim

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

You can set those cells up with conditional formatting, with a formula of
say =$A$1="abc" and set the pattern colour.

--

HTH

RP

"Jim Johnson" wrote in message
Can I automatically shade a range of cells when certain text is typed into

specific cell?

Frank Kabel

Hi
- select A1:H1
- goto 'Format - Conditional Format'
- enter the following formula in this dialog:
=$G1="your text"
- click on 'Format' and choose your fill color for this condition

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Jim Johnson" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

You can set those cells up with conditional formatting, with a

formula of
say =$A$1="abc" and set the pattern colour.

--

HTH

RP

"Jim Johnson" wrote in

message
Can I automatically shade a range of cells when certain text is

typed into
specific cell?

Myrna Larson

select A1:H1. Then Format/Conditional formatting. In the first box, select
Formula Is. In the box to the right type =$G1="the text you want"

Note the dollar sign in front of the G. That's critical.

Then click on the Format button. There are tabs for font, border, and
patterns. Make the settings you want.