Michael Hill

Default Calc status of open excel workbook should not overwrite another

The fact that the calculation status (manual or automatic) of an excel
workbook you open is altered if you already have one open with a different
calculation status seems to have no advantages and several disadvantages.
Inexperienced/occasional excel users may not notice the change and suffer as
a consequence. I have experienced this when such people have input data to
auto-calculate templates I've sent them but obviously had a manual calc
template open beforehand - and been highly embarrassed and apologetic sending
their input to me apparently not adding up. The fact that I could fix it with
one touch of F9 didn't reduce their discomfort. The present process is
deliberate per your "support" site and has been through several versions of
excel - but I cannot see any advantage in it, only problems.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.excel.setup
George Nicholson

I don't think there's any reason for *you* to be embarassed...

If they aren't doing it themselves, it sounds like your user's are opening
templates which include code that (perhaps rudely) sets Calc to manual.
AFAIK, this setting is not saved with workbooks. It is a per-user setting.

Options that come to mind:
1) Track down the offending templates and get them "fixed"
2) Add some code to your templates so that they set Calc to automatic when
they open (this might be interpreted as declaring war on the author of #1).
3) Add some code to your template that simply advises user they are in
ManualCalc mode & leave it up to them as to how they wish to proceed.

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.