Pete

Default Excel links

I want to make sure that if I send out a spreadsheet with a linked
spreadsheet, that the people I send this to will not be able to open or
display the linked infomation. Does excel make sure that this
infomation cannot be displayed?

Bill Manville

Pete wrote:
I want to make sure that if I send out a spreadsheet with a linked
spreadsheet, that the people I send this to will not be able to open or
display the linked infomation. Does excel make sure that this
infomation cannot be displayed?

If the source file (to which your spreadsheet is linked) is not visible
to the people receiving it (e.g. on the same network) then they will not
be able to open it.

They will normally be able to see the values that your formulas have
extracted from that source workbook. You can reduce the visibility by
hiding the worksheets containing the formulas and password protecting the
workbook structure and/or by setting the formulas to be locked and hidden
(Format / Cells / Protection) and password protecting the worksheets.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Bill Manville

microsoft.public.excel.links