Mole Chaser

Default Excel 2003 doesn't prompt to save on exit?

The rest of the Office 2003 suite does prompt to save a new or changed file,
but Excel does not. This has cost me lots of re-work when I get in a hurry or
have multiple windows open and inadvertently click to close the wrong window
or app.

It happens 100% of the time, for a new file or a modified file.
Nick Hodge

Mole Chaser

This is not standard behaviour. You should check you have no code in your
personal.xls for example or any add-ins loading that are marking any
workbooks as 'clean' and therefore not displaying a prompt to save.

Bear in mind to however that using the 'X' at the top of the application
operates totally differently to Word for example which closes the document.
XL closes the application and any workbooks within. It should show a prompt
however, but if multiple workbooks are open it only asks once if you answer
'No'

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Mole Chaser" <Mole
wrote in message
The rest of the Office 2003 suite does prompt to save a new or changed
file,
but Excel does not. This has cost me lots of re-work when I get in a hurry
or
have multiple windows open and inadvertently click to close the wrong
window
or app.

It happens 100% of the time, for a new file or a modified file.

Alan Cannon

Thanks, Nick. This behavior started when I upgraded from Office 2000 to
Office 2003. The Personal.xls and other sheets are the same ones used
previously. I have tried a new workbook opened alone in Excel, then using
the close workbook and close application X's as well as the Close and Exit
commands in the File menu. They all act the same. This is a real puzzle.

wrote in message
The rest of the Office 2003 suite does prompt to save a new or changed
file,
but Excel does not. This has cost me lots of re-work when I get in a

hurry
or
have multiple windows open and inadvertently click to close the wrong
window
or app.

It happens 100% of the time, for a new file or a modified file.

tommy_hlfgr

I am having the exact same problem. Did you find a way to fix this?

--
tommy_hlfgr
tommy_hlfgr's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m140

S M

I also come across this kind of problem, but not 100% of the time. I suspect
it's related to network connection. Every time it happens to me, my file is
on the file server and my network cable is loose. I suspect when my network
drive is gone, Excel won't prompt you to save the file or not upon exit.