peter

Default putting dates next to entries

I don't know Excel too well. I have a running spreadsheet with new
entries each day. Is there a way that I can have Excel automatically
put the date in the next column? Whenever a cell in entered or
modified, it would enter that date in the next cell.

Thanks,

Peter

Gary''s Student

Hi Peter:

The easy way to enter the date is to click on the cell and type CNTRL ;

It can be done automatically, but that requires VBA coding
--
Gary''s Student

"peter" wrote:

I don't know Excel too well. I have a running spreadsheet with new
entries each day. Is there a way that I can have Excel automatically
put the date in the next column? Whenever a cell in entered or
modified, it would enter that date in the next cell.

Thanks,

Peter

Gord Dibben

Peter

This would require event code behind the worksheet.

'when entering data in a cell in Col A
On Error GoTo enditall
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Cells.Column = 1 Then
n = Target.Row
If Excel.Range("A" & n).Value < "" Then
Excel.Range("B" & n).Value = Date
enditall:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

To implement this..............

Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code".

Copy/paste the above event code into that module.

Whenever you enter or edit data in any cell in column A, the date will be
entered in column B

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 21 Oct 2005 17:34:49 -0700, "peter" wrote:

I don't know Excel too well. I have a running spreadsheet with new
entries each day. Is there a way that I can have Excel automatically
put the date in the next column? Whenever a cell in entered or
modified, it would enter that date in the next cell.

Thanks,

Peter

peter

Hey Gord, that worked real well for columns a and b. How do I do it
if I need the same thing in other coulmns?

Thanks!

Peter

Gord Dibben

Peter

That would depend upon what your "other columns" are and where you would like
to have the timestamp entered.

In the code provided, you could change the Target.Cells.Column = 1 to another
column number.

The "A" and "B" can be altered.

Have a look at John McGimpsey's site on this subject.

Specifically the DateTimeStamp Macro which can be called by event code.

Gord

On 22 Oct 2005 11:48:17 -0700, "peter" wrote:

Hey Gord, that worked real well for columns a and b. How do I do it
if I need the same thing in other coulmns?

Thanks!

Peter

peter

Works like a charm, Gord! Thank you so much!

Peter

Gord Dibben

Thanks for the feedback Peter.

Gord