gilles boudreau

Default links between list

i have excel 2002 and Win XP. I am creating two lists of name one line of
travel and one alphabetical. I want to know if there is a way
a) to link the two together in a way that if i change the sequence number
on the travel one it will automatically change the number to the
corresponding name in the alphabetical list of name
b) and also if i need to delete a line it would delete the corresponding
line in the other list.
c) would that be possible on the same sheet or even different sheets of the
same file
That would be fantistic but may be i am dreaming too much. Let's hope for
help
line of travel list
5 - BRAS, Carlos (11020)
6 - BURDICK, Daniel , Christine (11030)
7 - LINDSAY, John, Jan (11040)

alphalist
~ B ~ 27
- BLAKE, Millmine (MAY) (6) (site 2) RR1
18 - BOUFFARD, Rene (MAR) RR1
21 - BOURKES LOCAL ROADS BOARD (NOV) RR1

--
XP home , Office 97

any or all responses are gratefully accepted and thank you for your time

Running Compaq P3, 500Mhz
WIN XP home, Office XP SB
Dialup (no choice here)

Bill Manville

I don't know what a "line of travel" is.

Your example did not make it very clear how the data was organised or related,
since the names in the one list were different from the names in the other.

Generally it is not sensible to try to maintain two separate but equivalent
lists in Excel.

Specifically:

a) to link the two together in a way that if i change the sequence number
on the travel one it will automatically change the number to the
corresponding name in the alphabetical list of name

If you used a formula in the alphabetical list you could pick up a number from
the other list that corresponds to the same name, if the name only occurs once
in that other list. (See VLOOKUP or since it looks like the numbers come
before the names, INDEX and MATCH)

b) and also if i need to delete a line it would delete the corresponding
line in the other list.

No - unless you were to write a macro to do the deletions from both lists.

c) would that be possible on the same sheet or even different sheets of the
same file

No more easy on same sheet or different sheets.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England