mama

Default Excel should let me sort on cell background color

Version excel 2003
Nick Hodge

Mama

It's not standard functionality but you could put a UDF (User Defined
Function) in the workbook and then enter it in another column and sort by
that.

=ReturnColorIndex(A1)

UDF (Place in a standard module in the workbook)

Function ReturnColorIndex(rCell As Range) As Integer
Application.Volatile True
ReturnColorIndex = rCell.Interior.ColorIndex
End Function

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"mama" wrote in message
Version excel 2003

Gord Dibben

mama

While waiting for MS to make the changes in the next version you should visit
Chip Pearson's site to see what's available for working with colors.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:19:02 -0800, "mama"
wrote:

Version excel 2003

Jack in the UK

My great friend Dave Hawley www.OzGrid.com has some dowmloadable example
in XLS format sure you find something there, and VBA code is open source
too.

Jack

--
Jack in the UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

The cell where I put the function say #Name?. In detail, where do I copy in
the UDF? Tool - Macro - VBA - ? - ? - ?
--
Thanks

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

Mama

It's not standard functionality but you could put a UDF (User Defined
Function) in the workbook and then enter it in another column and sort by
that.

=ReturnColorIndex(A1)

UDF (Place in a standard module in the workbook)

Function ReturnColorIndex(rCell As Range) As Integer
Application.Volatile True
ReturnColorIndex = rCell.Interior.ColorIndex
End Function

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
HIS

"mama" wrote in message
Version excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

The code goes in a general module inside that workbook's project (in the VBE).

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

Mama

It's not standard functionality but you could put a UDF (User Defined
Function) in the workbook and then enter it in another column and sort by
that.

=ReturnColorIndex(A1)

UDF (Place in a standard module in the workbook)

Function ReturnColorIndex(rCell As Range) As Integer
Application.Volatile True
ReturnColorIndex = rCell.Interior.ColorIndex
End Function

--
HTH
Nick Hodge