KayR

Default basic pie chart question

It's been a long time since I've used Excel, so this question is really
basic. I am a teacher; I have a column of rubric scores 1-5; I want a pie
chart that will show the % of students receiving each score (i.e., 10% score
level 1, 17% level 2, etc.) Thanks for the help!
John Mansfield

Kay,

Assuming you data starts in cell A1 and looks something like this:

Level 1 17%
Level 2 26%
Level 3 14%
Level 4 30%
Level 5 13%

Put your curser in cell A1. Go to the standard toolbar and click once on
the Chart Wizard. On Step 1 of the Chart Wizard - under the Standard Types
Tab choose the "Pie" Chart option. The Chart SubType should also say "Pie".
Then hit the Next button.

In Step 2 of the Chart Wizard and assuming your sheet is named "Sheet1", the
reference in the Data Range should look like this:

=Sheet1!$A$1:$B$5

Make sure that the "Series in" option is set to Columns. Hit the Next button.

In Step 3 of the Chart Wizard you can set up your chart title and chart
legend. The important thing here is to go to the Data Labels tab and add a
check mark to the "Label Contains Percentage" option. This option will add
the percentages to the outside of your pie slices. Hit the Next button again
and then hit the Finish button to complete the chart.

Once the chart is complete, you can double-click on the percentages, the
heading, the legend, and the outside border of the chart to change the font
and color formatting.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http:www.pdbook.com

"KayR" wrote:

It's been a long time since I've used Excel, so this question is really
basic. I am a teacher; I have a column of rubric scores 1-5; I want a pie
chart that will show the % of students receiving each score (i.e., 10% score
level 1, 17% level 2, etc.) Thanks for the help!

KayR

My data is set up like this

student
name score
a 0.5
b 0.5
c 1
d 1.5
e 1.5
and so forth.

I want to set up a pie chart that will show me the percentage of students
with each score.
Thanks for the help!

"KayR" wrote:

It's been a long time since I've used Excel, so this question is really
basic. I am a teacher; I have a column of rubric scores 1-5; I want a pie
chart that will show the % of students receiving each score (i.e., 10% score
level 1, 17% level 2, etc.) Thanks for the help!

John Mansfield

Kay,

Actually the same process will apply with one exception. Instead of using
the percentages as the source data as I had first noted, set up your data
just like you have it i.e.

name score
a 0.5
b 0.5
c 1.0
d 1.5
e 1.5

Then walk through the Chart Wizard process like I had described. Again, be
sure that in step 3 of the Chart Wizard you go to the Data Labels tab and add
a check mark to the "Label Contains Percentage" option. Excel will
automatically calculate the percentages of each value in the pie.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"KayR" wrote:

It's been a long time since I've used Excel, so this question is really
basic. I am a teacher; I have a column of rubric scores 1-5; I want a pie
chart that will show the % of students receiving each score (i.e., 10% score
level 1, 17% level 2, etc.) Thanks for the help!

Debra Dalgleish

To summarize the data, you could build a pivot table and pivot chart.
There are instructions and links for pivot tables on Jon Peltier's site:

Select a cell in the list
Choose DataPivotTable Report
Click Next, select the list, click Next
Click Layout
Drag the Score button to the row area
Drag another copy of Score to the Data area
Double-click the button in the data area, and choose to
summarize by Count
Click OK, click Finish

Select a cell in the pivot table, and click the chart wizard button
To change it to a pie chart, select the chart and choose
ChartChart Type.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List