Sam Rothstein

Default Excel 2000 should not hyperlink automaticly

Excel 2000 automaticly hyperlinks, and I can't turn it off. I despise this
"feature" more than Clippy himself. I am not a "newbie" and I DON'T want my
spreadsheets to do things for me without asking. At the least, it should be
something I can turn off.

I get stuck manually undoing every hyperlink that is instead a quantity I'm
shipping (eg: 10@250). It aggrivates me daily. Thanks!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.excel.setup
David McRitchie

Sorry Anne,
Neither of those methods are very good
paste special, values simply does not work in Excel 2000
maybe you meant copy an empty cell then select area
and edit, paste special, add

the macro removing hyperlinks one link at a time is inefficient
you can delete all links in a selection with one line of code,
so would be much faster. i.e. select all cells you might see the difference.

Removing object hyperlinks from a Cell or cell range (#DelHyperlinks)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#DelHyperlinks
---
HTH,

"Anne Troy" wrote in message ...
Sam, try this:
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Sam Rothstein" <Sam wrote in message
Excel 2000 automaticly hyperlinks, and I can't turn it off. I despise this
"feature" more than Clippy himself. I am not a "newbie" and I DON'T want
my
spreadsheets to do things for me without asking. At the least, it should
be
something I can turn off.

I get stuck manually undoing every hyperlink that is instead a quantity
I'm
shipping (eg: 10@250). It aggrivates me daily. Thanks!

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.excel.setup

Anne Troy

Thanks, Dave. Pointed to the wrong kb. I meant this one:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=73
LOL!!
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"David McRitchie" wrote in message
Sorry Anne,
Neither of those methods are very good
paste special, values simply does not work in Excel 2000
maybe you meant copy an empty cell then select area
and edit, paste special, add

the macro removing hyperlinks one link at a time is inefficient
you can delete all links in a selection with one line of code,
so would be much faster. i.e. select all cells you might see the
difference.

Removing object hyperlinks from a Cell or cell range (#DelHyperlinks)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#DelHyperlinks
---
HTH,

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Sam, try this:
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Sam Rothstein" <Sam wrote in
message
Excel 2000 automaticly hyperlinks, and I can't turn it off. I despise
this
"feature" more than Clippy himself. I am not a "newbie" and I DON'T
want
my
spreadsheets to do things for me without asking. At the least, it
should
be
something I can turn off.

I get stuck manually undoing every hyperlink that is instead a quantity
I'm
shipping (eg: 10@250). It aggrivates me daily. Thanks!

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ic.excel.setup

David McRitchie

but on the newer link to delete hyperlinks why would you hard code
the range instead of using a selection.

Back to the original question, there is no way to prevent hyperlinks
from being created. It is a matter of when you want (or how fast)
you can remove them. My suggestion is to just let them be created
and then remove the ones you don't want all at once. Microsoft
has a MS KB article that purports to tell you how to not create them
in Excel 2000 -- it actually lets them be created and removes them
with macros and includes an addition to auto_open (or equivalent).
You can see that reference on my page -- I don't think it is worth
the trouble and there are times that I want a link. Since it was
specifically asked for here is the article:
and it looks to be like it got gutted it used to be KB 233073-- there is no content for the macros.

You will find something similar here, and I think it is more straightforward
the MS article was anyway.
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/e...perlinks2.html

---
HTH,

"Anne Troy" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Dave. Pointed to the wrong kb. I meant this one:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=73
LOL!!

Anne Troy

LOL. NOW look who's putting the wrong link. :)
I'll change my article to link to McG's site; I assume he won't mind. I'll
also add another method for those that can't be bothered with delving into
macros in 2000. Thanks, Dave. :)
************

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Thanks, Dave. Pointed to the wrong kb. I meant this one:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=73
LOL!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Agg

Hi Sam
If you just want (10@250) in a cell, just force it to text by putting a
single quote in front of it like this ('10@250). Excel won't display the
quote so you will see (10@250) in the cell without the hyperlink. You can
use the same trick to type numbers with leading zeros such as postcodes or
product numbers in cells. If you type (0186) it will generally display as
(186) unless you do some special formatting. But if you type('0186) it will
display correctly as (0186).
Type ('www.microsoft.com) and it will show the URL without creating the
hyperlink.
In these examples, the brackets just indicate the cell - don't type them.