Carolly

Default Need Help linking worksheets

I recently took a part-time job as bookkeeper for an organization where I
need to be able to print a report on demand of current finances. I have a
workbook with 3 sheets. The first one is the General Ledger Report, 2nd,
receipts, and 3rd, lists the disbursements. My general ledger is: Begin.
Bal. plus Receipts minus Disburs, plus or minus transfers =ending balance.
The Ledger is listed by categories while the other two sheets are entered by
the date each action occurs. Although I have used Excel for some time, I have
only dealt with the simpler formulas and have never linked sheets together in
a workbook. Is it possible to link the receipts and disbursements to the
General Ledger so that every time I make an entry, it will reflect in my
General Ledger report? Any info will be appreciated. Using Excel 2003 SP1
Naz

Hi there,

Say for example you wanted to add the contents of cell A1 in each of the 3
worksheets all you do is enter the equal sign = and then click cell A1 in the
first sheet, enter the + sign, then click cell A1 in the second sheet, +,
cell A1 in the third sheet. Then press enter when you have finshed and it
will add the contents of all three cells in each work sheet.

To use a cell in a different sheet to the one you are in you just goto that
sheet and select it.

Hope that helps,

Naz,
London

"Carolly" wrote:

I recently took a part-time job as bookkeeper for an organization where I
need to be able to print a report on demand of current finances. I have a
workbook with 3 sheets. The first one is the General Ledger Report, 2nd,
receipts, and 3rd, lists the disbursements. My general ledger is: Begin.
Bal. plus Receipts minus Disburs, plus or minus transfers =ending balance.
The Ledger is listed by categories while the other two sheets are entered by
the date each action occurs. Although I have used Excel for some time, I have
only dealt with the simpler formulas and have never linked sheets together in
a workbook. Is it possible to link the receipts and disbursements to the
General Ledger so that every time I make an entry, it will reflect in my
General Ledger report? Any info will be appreciated. Using Excel 2003 SP1

Otto Moehrbach

Carolly
Another way is to use VBA (automation). I have found that VBA is the
most versatile way to do these kinds of things. Post back if this interests
you. HTH Otto
"Carolly" wrote in message
[...]

Carolly

Thanks Naz, your answer got me started, however, my formulas are becoming
very long. This is what I am trying to do. My first sheet shows a beginning
balance with receipts, and disbursements and ends with a remaining balance .
I have several catagories, for instance one being Building Fund. Each
catagory has a number code. My next worksheet has my receipts listed by date
with the same code for Building fund that I used in my first sheet,and third
worksheet has the check amounts written in each catagory with same code used
for building fund. What I need is for everytime I enter a check I have
written on the Building Fund that it would automatically be added to my
disbursements on the first sheet, and the same thing for when I enter a
deposit for the B.F. it would add to receipts on the first worksheet. What I
am now doing is everytime I make an entry, hitting f2 and +, then going to
each worksheet and entering in the cell. As this is a monthly report, I will
have to do this 25 or 30 times for each code catagory. I hope I am making
sense but wonder if there's an easier way, possibly with a formula using the
code?

"Carolly" wrote:

I recently took a part-time job as bookkeeper for an organization where I
need to be able to print a report on demand of current finances. I have a
workbook with 3 sheets. The first one is the General Ledger Report, 2nd,
receipts, and 3rd, lists the disbursements. My general ledger is: Begin.
Bal. plus Receipts minus Disburs, plus or minus transfers =ending balance.
The Ledger is listed by categories while the other two sheets are entered by
the date each action occurs. Although I have used Excel for some time, I have
only dealt with the simpler formulas and have never linked sheets together in
a workbook. Is it possible to link the receipts and disbursements to the
General Ledger so that every time I make an entry, it will reflect in my
General Ledger report? Any info will be appreciated. Using Excel 2003 SP1

Otto Moehrbach

Carolly
This is the process by which you learn. I didn't know anything about
VBA either, until I learned. If you wish, send me, direct, a small file
showing what you have and the layout of it, and what you want to happen when
you do what you do. I'll work with you and between you and me we'll come up
with something you can use. My email address is .
Remove the "nop" from this address. HTH Otto