JRH

Default Combining formulas and results HELP!!

Thanks, but I'm still stuck?????

=SQRT(E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)/(C12-1))
The above result of the above formula does not return the same value as
splitting the operation into two.

=E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12) --- returns 220
Now, the above returns 220, I need that 220 to complete the second equation.
=SQRT(J1/(C12-1)) --- =sqrt(220/199)
cell j1=220
cell c12=200

So, How do I combine the result that is being generated in j1 into the
equation in the cell j1 to be all on the same line, rather then two lines.

Thanks -

JRH

Ken Wright

Operator precedence means that the division in (POWER(D12,2)/C12)/(C12-1)
will happen first instead of what you want which is E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)
/ (C12-1), so just wrap the first part in brackets

(E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)) / (C12-1)

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"JRH" !o!m!N!OT! wrote in message
Thanks, but I'm still stuck?????

=SQRT(E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)/(C12-1))
The above result of the above formula does not return the same value as
splitting the operation into two.

=E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12) --- returns 220
Now, the above returns 220, I need that 220 to complete the second

equation.
=SQRT(J1/(C12-1)) --- =sqrt(220/199)
cell j1=220
cell c12=200

So, How do I combine the result that is being generated in j1 into the
equation in the cell j1 to be all on the same line, rather then two lines.

Thanks -

JRH

JRH

How can I take two formulas and combine them into one. However, the result
of the one formula is needed in the second formula?
Formula (1) =E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12) -- this is being written is cell b16,
thus the reason I call it in formula 2
Formula (2)=SQRT(b16/(C12-1))

Thanks greatly!

JRH

"JRH" !o!m!N!OT! wrote in message
Thanks, but I'm still stuck?????

=SQRT(E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)/(C12-1))
The above result of the above formula does not return the same value as
splitting the operation into two.

=E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12) --- returns 220
Now, the above returns 220, I need that 220 to complete the second

equation.
=SQRT(J1/(C12-1)) --- =sqrt(220/199)
cell j1=220
cell c12=200

So, How do I combine the result that is being generated in j1 into the
equation in the cell j1 to be all on the same line, rather then two

lines.

Thanks -

JRH

Ken Wright

Just do as I suggested and wrap your first formula in brackets, Then
substitute it for the cell reference you have in the second formula

=E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)

becomes

(E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12))

and replaces the B16 in