Terri

Default excel to figure miles per gallon

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am trying to make a spreadsheet to
figure out my miles per gallon on my new vehicle. The problem is ...I am
buying fuel by the liter and distance is in kilometers. I don't want
kilometers per liter, I would rather have miles per gallon.
Can anyone help me figure this out.
Thanks in advance,
Terri
John Mansfield

Terri,

The conversions a

1 kilometer = 0.621371192 miles

1 liter = 0.264172051 gallons

To perform the calculation, assume that you started your trip with 50 liters
of gas and drove 500 kilometers. The calculation to get miles per gallon
would be:

= ( 500 kilometers x .621371192 miles / 1 kilometer ) / (50 liters *
..264172051 gallons / 1 liter )

The kilometers and liters cancel each other out in the equation leaving you
with:

= 23.52 miles / gallon

To set this up in your spreadsheet, you can try something like this . . .
put the title "kilometer" in cell A1 and miles in cell A2. Add "1" to cell
A3 and "0.621371192" to cell B3. For this example, add the number "500" to
cell A2. Then add this formula to cell B2: =A2/A3*B3

kilometer miles
500 310.685596
1 0.621371192

You should get the numbers above. In another part of your sheet, do a
similar conversion calculation for gallons:

liter gallons
50 13.20860255
1 0.264172051

Finally, divide the results to get the answer:

23.52145845

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Terri" wrote:

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am trying to make a spreadsheet to
figure out my miles per gallon on my new vehicle. The problem is ...I am
buying fuel by the liter and distance is in kilometers. I don't want
kilometers per liter, I would rather have miles per gallon.
Can anyone help me figure this out.
Thanks in advance,
Terri

JE McGimpsey

One way:

A1: <km
A2: <l

A3: =CONVERT(A1,"km","mi")/CONVERT(A2,"l","gal")

or, equivalently

A3: =A1/A2 * 2.35265763970752

In article ,
"Terri" <robelg(at)mts(dot)net wrote:

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am trying to make a spreadsheet to
figure out my miles per gallon on my new vehicle. The problem is ...I am
buying fuel by the liter and distance is in kilometers. I don't want
kilometers per liter, I would rather have miles per gallon.
Can anyone help me figure this out.
Thanks in advance,
Terri

Terri

Thankyou to JE and John,
I tried John's but I got a different result than he. I got
1.6414892...instead of 23.52145845, not sure what I did. Then I tried JE's.
I had already started a spreadsheet and just added his formula
=A1/A2*2.35265763970752. (Just not sure what the 2.3526576370752 number
represents.) In my spreadsheet, I am trying to do an Average of miles per
gallon. Everytime I purchase fuel, I record the odometer reading, # of liters
, and $$ per liter. I think everything worked out ok, but not sure how to
figure out the first fuel purchase. Maybe I can send one of you the file, so
you can have a look at it.
Thanks, Terri

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

A1: <km
A2: <l

A3: =CONVERT(A1,"km","mi")/CONVERT(A2,"l","gal")

or, equivalently

A3: =A1/A2 * 2.35265763970752

In article ,
"Terri" <robelg(at)mts(dot)net wrote:

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I am trying to make a spreadsheet to
figure out my miles per gallon on my new vehicle. The problem is ...I am
buying fuel by the liter and distance is in kilometers. I don't want
kilometers per liter, I would rather have miles per gallon.
Can anyone help me figure this out.
Thanks in advance,
Terri

John Mansfield

Terri,

I've posted an example of how you might build your calculation on my web
site today. You can view it at http://www.pdbook.com.

Although the example calculates MPG per fuel purchase, you can easily modify
it to calculate average MPG over some range using the same logic.

Also, you might consider using JE's suggestion as the one formula involves
less steps.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield