Atif

Default Difference of date

1. I have 2 columns : 1. start date 2. end date, how can I formulate in the
3rd column to show the difference in days?

2. I have dates in custom format i.e dd mmm yy but still on the formula bar
it shows as d/m/yyyy. When I type in the date 2/1/05 it shows as 01 Feb 05
whereas it should show 02 Jan 05. What could be wrong here?

TIA

Peo Sjoblom

You have to change the date format under the regional setting in the control
panel, if they are set to mm/dd/yy then
for 02 Jan 05 you would need to type 01/02/05 and the format will display
correctly, if you change the date
to dd/mm/yy under regional setting you can type 2/1/05 and get it correct

Peo Sjoblom

"Atif" wrote in message
1. I have 2 columns : 1. start date 2. end date, how can I formulate in
the 3rd column to show the difference in days?

2. I have dates in custom format i.e dd mmm yy but still on the formula
bar it shows as d/m/yyyy. When I type in the date 2/1/05 it shows as 01
Feb 05 whereas it should show 02 Jan 05. What could be wrong here?

TIA

Nick Hodge

Atif

1) Use the Datedif function with the day switch "d"

=DATEDIF(A5,A4,"d")

2) I suspect the regional settings in windows are set to US. Change these,
close and re-open Excel.

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Atif" wrote in message
1. I have 2 columns : 1. start date 2. end date, how can I formulate in
the 3rd column to show the difference in days?

2. I have dates in custom format i.e dd mmm yy but still on the formula
bar it shows as d/m/yyyy. When I type in the date 2/1/05 it shows as 01
Feb 05 whereas it should show 02 Jan 05. What could be wrong here?

TIA

Peo Sjoblom

Sorry didn't see the first part, just use general format and subtract

=end-start

it is not necessary to use datedif for days

Peo Sjoblom