cashgrfx

Default how do I find an average number of specific words in a column

I am attempting to calculate a number of specific word occurrences. In
example, I have a column with yes in certain cells, and no in the others.
How can I display the total number of yes and no occurrences? I am fairly
new to Excel and know very little about coding in it.
JulieD

Hi

you can use the countif function to return the numbers of "yes" and "no"
e.g.
=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"yes")
will count the number of "yes" answers in the range A1 to A100
likewise,
=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"no")
will count the number of "no" answers in the same range

Hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"cashgrfx" wrote in message
I am attempting to calculate a number of specific word occurrences. In
example, I have a column with yes in certain cells, and no in the others.
How can I display the total number of yes and no occurrences? I am fairly
new to Excel and know very little about coding in it.

cashgrfx

Thank You very much!! However, I have another question now, is there a way
to show Yes = ? (the number returned by the countif statement) in the cell
with the statment? In other words, instead of just the value showing in the
cell, can I add a "Yes =" and the value appear after the "=" sign? Thanks
again!!

"cashgrfx" wrote in message
I am attempting to calculate a number of specific word occurrences. In
example, I have a column with yes in certain cells, and no in the others.
How can I display the total number of yes and no occurrences? I am fairly
new to Excel and know very little about coding in it.

JulieD

Hi

generally it's best to put the Yes in another cell e.g. B1 and the COUNTIF
formula in say C1 and then you can use
=COUNTIF(A1:A100,B1)

however, if you want to put it in the same cell and you don't mind the
number of yes answers being treated as text rather than a number you can do
this
="Yes = " & COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Yes")

Hope this helps
Cheers