K8

Default How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with 3 columns and then on the second row
one of the columns is split into 3 but I don't know how to do this!!
JulieD

Hi

you can not split a cell in excel, you can, however, merge them ... so if
you use 5 columns, merge three cells in the first row and play around with
the sizing you might be able to achieve what you're after.

A note however, merged cells can be a nightmare later on down the track with
sorting / filtering etc.

Cheers
JulieD

"K8" wrote in message
I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with 3 columns and then on the second
row
one of the columns is split into 3 but I don't know how to do this!!

iloveexcellllll

I generally do not merge cells in a worksheet/workbook because once you start
merging, you won't be able to sort without the possibility of loosing
information.
I like to use a separate column for all of my headers and work down and
across for each new subset of data.

example:
Jan Sales
Mark Susan Joan

"K8" wrote:

I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with 3 columns and then on the second row
one of the columns is split into 3 but I don't know how to do this!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CCW

I have found this problem long after it has been posted but I do a lot of
spread sheets and "HAD" the same problem. The previous comments were all
true as far as I know, but the trick to achieve what you are trying to do is
to:

= Type the Heading into the 1st of the Three Cells
= Select All 3 Cells
= Format
= Alignment
= Horizontal
= Scroll Down to Center Across Selection & Select

This allows you to Sort the Data As Well.

Note - Do Not Put any information into the the cells to the right of the
first cell where the heading is.