Jackie

Default running balance

Hi I need help figuring out a formula for a running balance. I have 3
columns one called deposits, another called petty cash disbursements and
another called expenses. I want to be able to know how can I get the total
amount of money that I have on an account even though I keep on entering
different dollar amounts at all times. I know that the formula =A39-B39 is
giving me the amount for the first two columns, but I don't know what to do
for the third column.

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.
Thanks.
Jackie

cwilson

how about an array formula?

Type into D2 (or where ever you want to see the running balance)
=sum(A2:A1000)-sum(B2:B1000)-sum(C2:C1000) then do ctrl+shift+enter

each time you enter new dollar amounts in the columns (all as positive
numbers by the way) the amount balance in D2 will change to reflect the new
transaction.

HTH cwilson

"Jackie" wrote:

Hi I need help figuring out a formula for a running balance. I have 3
columns one called deposits, another called petty cash disbursements and
another called expenses. I want to be able to know how can I get the total
amount of money that I have on an account even though I keep on entering
different dollar amounts at all times. I know that the formula =A39-B39 is
giving me the amount for the first two columns, but I don't know what to do
for the third column.

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.
Thanks.
Jackie

Lady Layla

Why would you have to enter this as an array -- works as a simple formula (no
need to do the ctrl+shift+enter) What would an array do that a normal formula
wouldnt?

"cwilson" wrote in message
: how about an array formula?
:
: "Jackie" wrote:
:
: Hi I need help figuring out a formula for a running balance. I have 3
: columns one called deposits, another called petty cash disbursements and
: another called expenses. I want to be able to know how can I get the total
: amount of money that I have on an account even though I keep on entering
: different dollar amounts at all times. I know that the formula =A39-B39 is
: giving me the amount for the first two columns, but I don't know what to do
: for the third column.
:
: I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out.
: Thanks.
: Jackie

cwilson

You are correct. I don't know why I had it as an array. To much going on at
once maybe. Thanks though. Good catch.

"Lady Layla" wrote:

Why would you have to enter this as an array -- works as a simple formula (no
need to do the ctrl+shift+enter) What would an array do that a normal formula
wouldnt?

"cwilson" wrote in message
: how about an array formula?
: