bob m

Default initial size of new charts

Lately when I create a new chart using the chart wizard, the chart that
initially appears is miniscule in size-- sometimes less than 1/8" high and
maybe an inch or so wide, and it fills only a tiny fraction of the window.
The charts are so small that it's difficult to even find the vertical borders
as needed to resize the picture. Also, all the fonts come out as 1 point. I
get the same result regardless of whether I place the chart in the worksheet
with the data, or in its own sheet. It seems that the initial size of new
charts varies kind of randomly through time. How are these defaults
determined? How can I get new charts to be reasonably sized? I can always do
some re-sizing, but having to start with microscopic sized charts seems
ridiculous! Thanks,
--
Bob M.
Jon Peltier

Hi Bob -

I wonder if your default chart type was changed to some wildly shrunken chart. Check
in step 1 of the wizard. What type of chart is selected before you make any choices?
Click on the Custom Types tab, and choose the User Defined option. Under default, is
that a normal chart?

The other thing to check, for an embedded chart, is whether you have frozen panes in
the worksheet. Excel makes its embedded charts (roughly) half the size of the active
pane, centered within the pane. If the active pane is small, so will be the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services