Richard

Default Built-in menu on paste button

In my customized Excel toolbar, I put a paste button with a built-in menu.
Clicking the arrow allows you to select different pasting options.
I bought a new computer (a laptop) but I cannot find the paste button with
the built-in menu as an option when customizing the toolbars. I know the
button exists. I am looking at it right now on my other computer (desktop),
but I cannot find it. Heck, I can't even find it on the customize menu on my
old computer.
I don't remember if I did something on my desktop to have that option but I
cannot duplicate it on my laptop. Any help?
Gord Dibben

Richard

Customizations to toolbars and menus are saved in your Excel.xlb file.

To get the same customizations you must copy the Excel.xlb file from old
computer to new computer.

Do a search on old computer for *.xlb file.

Usually found in

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 05:06:01 -0700, "Richard"
wrote:

In my customized Excel toolbar, I put a paste button with a built-in menu.
Clicking the arrow allows you to select different pasting options.
I bought a new computer (a laptop) but I cannot find the paste button with
the built-in menu as an option when customizing the toolbars. I know the
button exists. I am looking at it right now on my other computer (desktop),
but I cannot find it. Heck, I can't even find it on the customize menu on my
old computer.
I don't remember if I did something on my desktop to have that option but I
cannot duplicate it on my laptop. Any help?

David McRitchie

The buttons are in your *.xlb file, you only have one that is in use
and it is updated every time you close Excel. It is a hidden file so
don't forget to change your system defaults to not have hidden files.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/toolbars.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ebarhopper.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm

If the new Excel is the same version as the old Excel you could
copy the old *.xlb file to the new computer restoring it in the exact
same path.

If the toolbar button was installed from supplied toolbars
right click on men toolbars area, customize
commands(tab), Edit (on left), paste (on right)

Toolbar Picture
As far as the picture goes, if you just want to retrieve it
right click on menu toolbars area, customize
right click on the button, copy image, exit customize
paste picture onto spreadsheet, transfer file

Open workbook on new computer, select picture, copy (ctrl+c),
\right click on menu toolbars area, customize
assign your button and macro then use Paste picture.

Don't throw out or donate you old computer until you clean (wipe) the
hard drive several times to remove data. If you are throwing it out
you might as well save the hard drive, but mark that it still has private data.
Because you might connect the HD up to the floppy cable and copy files.
I've never done that but I always figure it's best to keep it around, and the
same for backup that you don't know what to do with it. When you need it
you'll learn quickly what to do as long as you have it. At least that's my
philosophy it become more of an option to use for restoring when you
have nothing [more] to lose.
--
---
HTH,

"Richard" wrote in message ...
In my customized Excel toolbar, I put a paste button with a built-in menu.
Clicking the arrow allows you to select different pasting options.
I bought a new computer (a laptop) but I cannot find the paste button with
the built-in menu as an option when customizing the toolbars. I know the
button exists. I am looking at it right now on my other computer (desktop),
but I cannot find it. Heck, I can't even find it on the customize menu on my
old computer.
I don't remember if I did something on my desktop to have that option but I
cannot duplicate it on my laptop. Any help?

David McRitchie

When restoring *.xlb file from a backup, be sure that Excel
has been closed, and be sure to restore the file to the same pathname
as the current Excel requires.