fgiord

Default how do i convert works to excel files,

Frank Kabel

Hi
a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files:
-----

Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it
down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format,
or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find
a converter here if you don't have WORKS.

http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.h...kscnvxls_e.htm

Text from the website above:-

Microsoft does not provide an import Excel filter for Works-WKS files
later than version 2. (for Works-WPD and Word they do). There is no
standard way to convert a lot of Works-WKS files into the Excel format.
You need to save each file out
of Works manually into XLS which is a pain in the neck.
Here comes our MS Works spreadsheets to Excel Converter. It does not
need a Works Installation and you
can use the batch converting wizard (see right side).
a.. Completely integrated into Excel 97/2000/XP, no external program
b.. Imports MS Works Spreadsheet (*.WKS) 3.x ,4.x, 200xfiles
c.. Convenient, selfextracting and selfinstalling setup procedure
d.. Can be removed completely with standard deinstall procedure
e.. Works with Windows 9x, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP
f.. Our RL-File-Conversion-Wizard is part of the package
g.. Converts cell alignments, font styles, etc.
h.. Excel helper macros to make migration easier
i.. No need for a Works installation
j.. Free Updates: Our registered customers can download the latest
version from our download area at any time

Two articles from Microsoft that deal with Works and the files it can
open/save as.

Works: Sharing Works Files with Other Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-ca;271080

Works: Limitations of Sharing Files with Excel
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-ca;269273

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

fgiord

Thanks,
I purchased a new computer and dumped all my files into it now the new one
doesn't have works so now I can't even open Works Word proccessor and the
Works database files!

Frank Kabel

Hi
then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him convert
your files) or go for one of the commercial converters

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

fgiord wrote:
Thanks,
I purchased a new computer and dumped all my files into it now the
new one doesn't have works so now I can't even open Works Word
proccessor and the Works database files!

LeAnne

Frank Kabel wrote:

Hi
then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him convert
your files) or go for one of the commercial converters

PMFJI -

Is that the poster's only option? I am able to open existing Works
spreadsheet files from XL(97 or 03)...select File Open and then hit
the dropdown list for "Files of Type;" file formats with the extension
..wks are listed. Likewise, Word appears to be able to open word
processing files of filetype .wps.

hth,

LeAnne
LeAnne

PS. Here's more from the MS Knowledge Base:

L.
Frank Kabel

Hi
at least my Excel would open only VERY old Works 2.0 files but not the newer
versions

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

LeAnne wrote:
Frank Kabel wrote:

Hi
then either find a friend who still has Works installed (and let him
convert your files) or go for one of the commercial converters

PMFJI -

Is that the poster's only option? I am able to open existing Works
spreadsheet files from XL(97 or 03)...select File Open and then hit
the dropdown list for "Files of Type;" file formats with the extension
.wks are listed. Likewise, Word appears to be able to open word
processing files of filetype .wps.

hth,

LeAnne

LeAnne

Nick Hodge wrote:

LeAnne

For some reason known only to MS, they abandoned the converter for *.wks
(also used by Lotus as an extension) after V2 of Works, so any version after
that has to be saved as such in Works... seems mad to me too!

Hi Nick,

<sarcasm Good ol' M$...</sarcasm

Seriously, according to the KB article posted above:

"Microsoft Excel can open and view a Works Spreadsheet document in its
native (.xlr) format. A Works Spreadsheet document can be viewed with
any program that can open or view a Microsoft Excel worksheet.
Additionally, Spreadsheet can also open Backup files (.bks) and Text
files (.txt)."

L.

Frank Kabel

[...]
<sarcasm Good ol' M$...</sarcasm

Seriously, according to the KB article posted above:

"Microsoft Excel can open and view a Works Spreadsheet document in its
native (.xlr) format. A Works Spreadsheet document can be viewed with
any program that can open or view a Microsoft Excel worksheet.
Additionally, Spreadsheet can also open Backup files (.bks) and Text
files (.txt)."

Hi LeAnne
but this is probably not the default format to save a Works file. If the
user has the option to create such file in Works he could create a *.xls
file anyway :-)

Frank

LeAnne

Frank Kabel wrote:

Hi LeAnne
but this is probably not the default format to save a Works file.

Hmm. Okay, if it isn't .wks, and it isn't .xl*, what is the default file
format for a Works spreadsheet these days?

LeAnne
Debra Dalgleish

In newer versions of Works (6.0, or later), it looks like .xlr is the
default format.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271074

LeAnne wrote:
Frank Kabel wrote:

Hi LeAnne
but this is probably not the default format to save a Works file.

Hmm. Okay, if it isn't .wks, and it isn't .xl*, what is the default file
format for a Works spreadsheet these days?

LeAnne

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

LeAnne

Debra Dalgleish wrote:

In newer versions of Works (6.0, or later), it looks like .xlr is the
default format.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271074

Debra to the rescue! Girl power! Woohoo!

Thanks,

LeAnne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Spence

You replied to 3 1/2 year old post but thanks for the info.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP