neil f

Default Any way to force European format dates in sheets?

Is there a way to configure Excel (Office 2000) to always display dates in
Euro format instead of US? It currently accepts entries in Euro format
(dd/mm/yy) but always displays them in sheets in US format (mm/dd/yy), which
is kinda confusing. I can't see a configure option covering this - am I
missing something?

Cheers,
-Neil F.

Ben McBen

Suspect this is down to your PCs settings - check control
panel - Regional Options. Are you sure its accepting Euro
dates, and not just those that can be mis-interpreted as
US and leaving others just as text?

neil f

Thanks for that, Ben. I've checked the Regional Settings panel and
everything appears to be set correctly for the UK. It even shows today's
date in the correct format as its current example.

As a temp workaround, I've set up a definition in the cell formats list
using the 'custom' entry in the dialogue box to show dd/mm/yy, but there
must be some other way of doing this. Maybe my copy of Office 2000 is one of
those dodgy grey imports from a region that doesn't need non-US settings -
are there such things?

My employer's licence recently enabled a home-user version of the latest
Office edition to be supplied to me direct from MS. As MS required all the
regional details filling in before dispatch, I'm presuming it will operate
without the above issue. I was just trying to avoid the hassle of
uninstalling the old and reinstalling the new.

-Neil

"Ben McBen" wrote in message
Suspect this is down to your PCs settings - check control
panel - Regional Options. Are you sure its accepting Euro
dates, and not just those that can be mis-interpreted as
US and leaving others just as text?

Bernard Liengme

We use dd/mm/yy in Canada
I have my Regional Setting set to Canada and if I type a date in an Excel
cell it is always taken as dd/mm/mm. Type typing 01/12/2004 in A1 and in B1
enter =MONTH(A1). Do you get 12 or !?
Reply to group so other can follow the thread
vest wishes
Bernard

"neil f" wrote in message
Is there a way to configure Excel (Office 2000) to always display dates in
Euro format instead of US? It currently accepts entries in Euro format
(dd/mm/yy) but always displays them in sheets in US format (mm/dd/yy),
which is kinda confusing. I can't see a configure option covering this -
am I missing something?

Cheers,
-Neil F.

Bernard Liengme

Then Excel is using the UK format (dd/mm/yy)
Why do you think it is using US format?

We might as well carry on this chat using personal email now

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme