Kevin

Default links from Outlook to xls/mhd activating erratically

Using Outlook 2003, I composed an e-mail at linked to two files on our
organization's server, one an Excel spreadsheet with four worksheets
and one an .mhd (single Web page) save of the same spreadsheet.

I used Insert Object Create from File Link Browse. I've
experimented with selecting "display as icon" and not selecting it. I
mailed myself a Cc of the mail to make sure my recipient could load it,
and am getting very strange results. Mostly, nothing I do will display
the worksheets in Excel or load them into the browser.

With the .xls file, I tried Open and Edit, and nothing happened. With
the .mhd version, I tried Activate Contents and Edit Package.

The only thing that works to open the file in Excel is to right-click
on the filename in the mail message, do Properties Link tab, and
select Open Source.

What's going on? Do I need to manually enter the server name rather
than just browse to the files ("H:\First level folder\filename.xls")
Bill Manville

I don't have Outlook 2003 installed, but have you considered inserting
a Hyperlink rather than an Object?

If the recipients are all on the same network that should work I would
think.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England