Craig

Default Linking with Two Monitors

I have dual monitors in which I open two different worksheets. When I try
to link from the worksheet on monitor 1 to the worksheet on monitor 2, it
will not let me link. I hit the "=" move my cursor over to monitor two and
the cell then will not let me select a cell from the monitor 2 worksheet. I
am using Excel 2003.

Is this a known problem or is there a fix so I can link?

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

Just a question here. Are you opening up two different copies of excel,
each with it's own workbook, one on each screen, or are you opening up
ONE copy of excel holding both worksheets, spreading it across both
screens, with each worksheet loaded into the space on each respective
screen? If the former, try the later.

Craig wrote:

I have dual monitors in which I open two different worksheets. When I try
to link from the worksheet on monitor 1 to the worksheet on monitor 2, it
will not let me link. I hit the "=" move my cursor over to monitor two and
the cell then will not let me select a cell from the monitor 2 worksheet. I
am using Excel 2003.

Is this a known problem or is there a fix so I can link?

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

Just a guess, but when doing other types of things, I have noticed that
seperate instances of Excel are just not as interactive as multiple
worksheets within on instance of excel.

Craig wrote:

I have dual monitors in which I open two different worksheets. When I
try to link from the worksheet on monitor 1 to the worksheet on monitor
2, it will not let me link. I hit the "=" move my cursor over to monitor
two and the cell then will not let me select a cell from the monitor 2
worksheet. I am using Excel 2003.

Is this a known problem or is there a fix so I can link?

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

I have done this, but I am still a little irritated by this.

If I open up just one instance of excel and have two files open, I can link
and the two worksheets will update when I make changes in either. This
works fine, but my toolbars only appear on one screen, so if I want to do
anything using my toolbars at the top of the page I have do perform it from
the other screen.

Liked I mentioned in a previous post, if I open two instances of excel and
have one shoing on each screen, then I cannot link between the two files.
Plus if I do make chages to a file in which it is already linked to the
other excel file, the linked file does not update automotically. i have to
save my changes and then go into the linked file and update links.

Is there anyone who know why this happens or if there is a way I can make it
a liitle more usable. All I want to do is have two files open to link
between the two files and have all the functions and toolbars on each screen

Thanks for the help!!!

Craig wrote:

I have dual monitors in which I open two different worksheets. When I
try to link from the worksheet on monitor 1 to the worksheet on monitor
2, it will not let me link. I hit the "=" move my cursor over to monitor
two and the cell then will not let me select a cell from the monitor 2
worksheet. I am using Excel 2003.

Is this a known problem or is there a fix so I can link?

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

The reason is simple. Excel is not communicating with Excel(1). It is
not being told that one spreadsheet has been updated. Further, the
information is not in a saved file. This is why Excel can open up
multiple files. The 1 program can keep track of all the changes, etc.
TO coordinate between two seperate instances woudl require a whole new
system of comunication that just isn't neccessary.

About the only thing I can think of to help you, would be to create two
custom toolbars, each having the commands you tend to use, and have them
floating, one on each screen. Other than that, I think you are stuck
with the functionality you have.

You might wnat to look on the web for an add in that would give a you a
programmable context menu. That way, you would not have to worry about
what screen you were on. Right click or middle click or whatever, and a
menu appears under your cursor to do what you want. Don't know of any,
but there has to be something out there like that.