Jonas

Default Excel and googletools (or similar)?

Hi, do anyone know if there is a way to incorporate a hyperlink in a cell
that refer to an already specified search on the internet? I.e. what I want
to do is to have a a search string in an cell and when clicing on it, a
search on the internet begin for that particularly search string. Important
if the internet adress for the same site changes which prevent the use of
hyperlinks.

Regards
Jonas

Jonas

Thats precisly what I want to do, i.e. track the document despite event that
changes its location (i.e. updated legal documents that gets a new location
after changes). A pre-arranged search in the actual excel cell that perform
the search I want to do and give me the result. This mean I would only have
to make two click with the mouse to retrieve the document, instead of
opening, explorer, write the searchstring, open the results etc.

Jonas

"Jonas" wrote in message
Hi, do anyone know if there is a way to incorporate a hyperlink in a cell
that refer to an already specified search on the internet? I.e. what I

want
to do is to have a a search string in an cell and when clicing on it, a
search on the internet begin for that particularly search string.

Important
if the internet adress for the same site changes which prevent the use of
hyperlinks.

Regards
Jonas

David McRitchie

Hi Jonas,
I don't really understand what you are looking for, if the following does not help
please indicate what you expect to have.

These are the Key Word Shortcuts that I use in Firefox (browser), and also
is probably approximately what is use with the Google search bar which is
highly customizable. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef....htm#searchbar

For Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%s

For Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_u...um=100&as_q=%s

You can do the same in Excel as follows:

A2: 'spline Excel sub
B2: =HYPERLINK("http://www.google.com/search?q=" & A2,"[Google]"
C2: =HYPERLINK("http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=*excel*&num=100&as_q=" & A2, "[Groups]")

FWIW, this is hard to enter directly into Outlook Express with the quotes, so have
to create it first in NotePad then copy and paste above.

From you second statement perhaps you are trying to determine if a document
got changed. There is a bookmarklet in IE that will give you the date that a
document was updated, without actually pulling up the document. It is up to the
server whether that let you inquire or not. I've not seen an equivalent bookmarklet
in Firefox -- only those that you have to already be in the HTML document. Information
is useless on sites such as Microsoft where every document is composed each time (.asp).

As far as getting the same results each time from Google -- it is not going to happen
there is randomness involved in the results, and even if there weren't the results
would change daily anyway as people add and update material.

---
HTH,