Susan Lambert

Default Problem drawing lines on charts

I am running Excel 2003, SP1 on a Windows XP computer. I have recently
started having problems drawing lines on charts using the drawing tool. I
used to be able to draw a line on a chart and it would print out in that
location. Now if I put a line on a chart, it prints about 1/4" above where
I want it to go. I have to then move the line to a lower location to match
the print preview to get it to print out correctly. Has anyone experienced
this problem and if so, is there a setting or solution. I've tried letting
Excel create the chart, putting in the line and then previewing for printing
at 100%. I've also tried setting the print area around the chart to lock
the chart into an area and then previewing. Neither one solves the problem.

I can't help but think there is a setting off because I used to be able to
do this and the screen view and print view were the same.

Susan Lambert

It's not just viewing but printing as well. I tried setting the zoom on the
spreadsheet to the same as preview but the lines are still 1/4" higher in
preview and printed than where I put them on the spreadsheet.

I'm wondering if there is a compatibility issue with the aspect ratio of the
draw tool in SP1. It's very frustrating as we draw a lot on finished charts
and it consumes a lot of time to play around with the lines to get them to
print in the correct position.

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
One small thought. Is zoom the same?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Susan Lambert" wrote in message
[...]

Bernard Liengme

Hi Susan,
When I draw a line on a chart I do this:
1) Click chart to activate it
2) Click and use Drawing tool
If step 1 is omitted, the chart and the line are not grouped. Move one and
the other stays unmoved.
If you need to group existing items click the line (you may need first to
right click and use Bring to Front, hold CTRL and click the chart; right
click inside chart and use Group.

How this is of some help

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

[...]

Susan Lambert

Yes, I am doing this when I input the lines. The lines are there on the
printed copy, they are just not where they are supposed to be. They are off
in print preview also. That has only started happening recently after we
installed Office 2003 SP1. I'll try the grouping objects and see if that
helps. Thanks.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
[...]

Jon Peltier

Susan -

Could you add the line as another series in the chart? It will remain locked to the
X,Y coordinates you used to plot it. Here are some examples:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Susan Lambert wrote:

[...]

Vic Eldridge

Susan,

See if your printer manufacturer has some updated drivers on their website.

Regards,
Vic Eldridge