Andre Croteau

Default links changed since tranferring files from old to new laptop

Hello

Recently the IT dept just changed the laptop for our F&A Manager. When he
opens the Excel files, the links in the all cells are changed to this
folder:

"'C:\Documents and Settings\neilm\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\DATAX\......", even after he clicks "NO" to
update the link.

The original link in the old laptop is "C:\DATAX\.....". Have you seen any
similar cases before ? He can change the links manually, but it will take
lots of time and he has to verify every link in every Excel file.

The new laptop is using Office 2000 SR1, while the old laptop is using only
Office 2000.

The transferring of his files was done as follows:

- turned on both laptops and logged into the network

- in his new laptop, mapped a network drive to his old laptop

- copied the files from his old laptop to the new laptop, in the same

locations in new laptop

Does enyone know why this happened (to avoid hapening again), and is there
any easy way to fix it?

Thanks !

André

Ken Wright

See if he has the following option and then use it if so:-

Edit / Links / Change Source

You will need to do it for each unique File link, but hopefully that's not
many

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Andre Croteau" wrote in message
[...]

Andre Croteau

Hi Ken,

I had actually suggested to the Manager to do a "Find / Replace" for each
individual file (grouping all sheets, highlighting the whole sheet Ctrl +A)
finding the word " Documents and Settings\neilm\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\ " and replacing it with a blank, which worked
well.

Maybe I didnt explain properly that the files located on the C: drive from
the old laptop were either copied/moved (don't know which of the two was
done) into a network drive, then copied/moved back into the new laptop. The
problem files were those located on the network drive which had links to
files located on the laptop's C drive.

My question related more to WHY this happened, and could we have reversed it
by doing the contrary, and more importantly to avoid it hapening in he
future.
I had a theory that the IT person had MOVED the files rather than COPIED
from one directory to another, which might have somehow affected the links,
but I am unable to test it from home (no network drive here).

Hope this clarifies a bit more.

rgds

André

----