Jayman2005

Default Spreadsheet within a spreadsheet...

Hi... simple problem.
I have made a spreadsheet that employees will fill out. There is one per
customer job. I have attempted to make one workbook that will link to all
the others so i can monitor the status' of the job spreadsheet.
So... easy right?
I use the 'insert/object/new from file/link to file'. Choose the other
sheet and hit OK. The linked sheet imports BUT, it seems to treat it as a
graphic and cuts the table in half (roughly). I tried to resize using the
grips - but that just stretchs or shrinks the half chart image.
Now... anyone know how to get the whole chart to show? This is in office
2000 on Win2000pro.
Cheers and thanks!!
Bill Manville

Inserting one workbook into another as a linked object is an unusual
thing to do. If you double-click it, it will open up the source
workbook, I assume. If you want to see certain cells in the source
workbook it would be more usual to create a formula link to the
specific cells.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Jayman2005

I agree with you Bill, it is a odd thing, but it works perfectly for what i
am trying to do.
It almost seems as if excel is bringing in the other sheet as a graphic -
but i can not control the size(resolution i guess) of the inserted sheet.

Maybe there is another way to monitor several worksheets from one point? I
am not stuck on using excel for this but it seems the easiest method - if
anyone can suggest any other way to monitor mulitple sheets in mulitple
folders... :)

Cheers!
J.

"Bill Manville" wrote:

Inserting one workbook into another as a linked object is an unusual
thing to do. If you double-click it, it will open up the source
workbook, I assume. If you want to see certain cells in the source
workbook it would be more usual to create a formula link to the
specific cells.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Bill Manville

You are right - when you import an object you see a picture of that
object. When you double-click it then it will open.

The normal way to view data from multiple sheets is to use formula
links to important cells in those sheets (e.g. if there is a cell
giving the date it was last updated or % complete etc).

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Jayman2005

Ok. Last question...
I agree with that method of linking cells... but lets pretend for a moment
that none of this was important... lol
How can i control the size of a viewable object (other than grips) when
inserted into an excel spreadsheet?
If I can just figure that out - i win!!
Cheers!
BTW Thanx for your input Bill!
J.

"Bill Manville" wrote:

You are right - when you import an object you see a picture of that
object. When you double-click it then it will open.

The normal way to view data from multiple sheets is to use formula
links to important cells in those sheets (e.g. if there is a cell
giving the date it was last updated or % complete etc).

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Bill Manville

I don't know of a way.

A few experiments have convinced me that Excel decides how big the
picture should be when it has seen what is in the source worksheet.
If the used range is smaller than its initial choice of size then it
will downsize the picture to that used range. If the used range is
bigger it may upsize the picture, but there is presumably some limit.

If you specify Width and Height in the OLEObjects.Add method they have
no effect on what Excel does.

So the only way you might control it is by changing what appears on the
source sheet

I think you lose, but if you find a way of winning, please share it.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Ed Ferrero

Just caught up on this interesting thread.

Have you tried using the Camera tool button?
(Its a bit hard to find, customise a toolbar
and look about 2/3rds down in the Tools
category)

With this button you can select a range in
any sheet, take a picture and embed that in
another sheet. The picture is linked and
will change when the data in the original
sheet changes.

Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net