Throstle

Default how do I graph a linear equation?

I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I
do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create
a data table and use the table of values to chart the line in excel. But I
want just enter the equation in excel and have excel graph it. Thanks.
Del Cotter

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Throstle said:

I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I
do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create
a data table and use the table of values to chart the line in excel. But I
want just enter the equation in excel and have excel graph it. Thanks.

You need only two points to define a straight line. Create a
spreadsheet that takes the minimum and maximum values of x, and the
values of a and b, and calculates just two values of y, and you will
have forever more a spreadsheet that will give you a graph of y=ax+b
whenever you want.

--
Del Cotter
Thanks to the recent increase in UBE, I will soon be ignoring email
John Mansfield

Throstle,

In addition to plotting the points by solving for X and Y, you can also have
Excel automatically do this via the use of defined names as a data source for
your chart. This link provides an explanation on how to chart a function:

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...rt_a_function/

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Throstle" wrote:

I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I
do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create
a data table and use the table of values to chart the line in excel. But I
want just enter the equation in excel and have excel graph it. Thanks.

Bernard Liengme

In A1:A10 enter some x-values (say 1,2,.....)
In B1 enter =2*A1+4
Copy this down to B10
Select A1:B10; click the chart wizard, and select an XY (NOT a Line) chart

best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme