MxlPltx

Default Excel complains about "C:\documents.xls", etc. when starting

Excel 2003 is obviously complaining about some file named "C:\Documents and
Settings\mxlpltx\My Documents\xxx.xls" that isn't in quotes but I can't seem
to find out where it's getting the filename. It complains even if I start
Excel from the START menu. I have only one computer that does this.

Interestingly, the second file it wants is named "c:\documents and
settings\mxlpltx\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\and.xls" instead of
"c:\and.xls"

My real question is: how do I stop it? Is it possible to find the reference
and delete it? Should I re-install? If I re-install do I have to uninstall
first?

Mxl
Dave Peterson

Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
MxlPltx

Thanks, Dave, but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. FWIW: the
"unregserver" runs instantly without any indication while "regserver" takes
some time and displays a dialog.If that's not what should have happened then
I may have done something wrong.

Other than that, any other ideas?

I'm beginning to suspect that the file is on a recently used list. Does this
make sense?

Mxl

MxlPltx wrote:

Excel 2003 is obviously complaining about some file named "C:\Documents and
Settings\mxlpltx\My Documents\xxx.xls" that isn't in quotes but I can't seem
to find out where it's getting the filename. It complains even if I start
Excel from the START menu. I have only one computer that does this.

Interestingly, the second file it wants is named "c:\documents and
settings\mxlpltx\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\and.xls" instead of
"c:\and.xls"

My real question is: how do I stop it? Is it possible to find the reference
and delete it? Should I re-install? If I re-install do I have to uninstall
first?

Mxl

--

Dave Peterson

MxlPltx

I found the file. I had an AddIn that didn't properly install and it
appeared twice in the list. I removed it from the list. This solved the
problem.

I do appreciate your help, though. Besides, I learned something! :)

Thanks,
Mxl

MxlPltx wrote:

Excel 2003 is obviously complaining about some file named "C:\Documents and
Settings\mxlpltx\My Documents\xxx.xls" that isn't in quotes but I can't seem
to find out where it's getting the filename. It complains even if I start
Excel from the START menu. I have only one computer that does this.

Interestingly, the second file it wants is named "c:\documents and
settings\mxlpltx\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns\and.xls" instead of
"c:\and.xls"

My real question is: how do I stop it? Is it possible to find the reference
and delete it? Should I re-install? If I re-install do I have to uninstall
first?

Mxl

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

Are you sure it is "xxx.XLS" and not "xxx.XLA"?

If "XLA" uncheck the add-ins in ToolsAdd-ins until you find the culprit that
is missing.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP