Dawn Parks

Default changing proportion of chart and data table

I have a chart with 19 lines of data and I have been requested to print the
data table with the chart. When I add the data table so that I can read the
text (e.g., 11 or 12 pt font), I cannot see all the data table line in the
page viewer or print it all out. I can only print out all the data table
lines along with the chart if I make the font so small that it renders the
data table useless (or similarly, if I shrink the size of the size the chart
so that what I am looking at is so small you can't read the labels anymore).
In either case, when I do this I also I end up with half a "blank" page. How
can I shift the aspect/ratio of the chart or change the size of the chart
separately from the table AND how can I force Excel to let me use the entire
page of space I have available?
Jon Peltier

Hi Dawn -

Data tables are of limited usefulness. They can only contain a limited amount of
data, they're not flexible in terms of formatting. But you still might have some
options. Have you tried changing to a portrait orientation? Could you embed the
chart in a sheet and use the worksheet range under the chart as a more readily
customized table?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Dawn Parks wrote:

I have a chart with 19 lines of data and I have been requested to print the
data table with the chart. When I add the data table so that I can read the
text (e.g., 11 or 12 pt font), I cannot see all the data table line in the
page viewer or print it all out. I can only print out all the data table
lines along with the chart if I make the font so small that it renders the
data table useless (or similarly, if I shrink the size of the size the chart
so that what I am looking at is so small you can't read the labels anymore).
In either case, when I do this I also I end up with half a "blank" page. How
can I shift the aspect/ratio of the chart or change the size of the chart
separately from the table AND how can I force Excel to let me use the entire
page of space I have available?

Dawn Parks

Jon,
Thanks for the suggestion. Excluding the data table as part of the chart
was what I had to do so that I could manipulate it separately from the chart.
(I did try changing the view from landscape to portrait but it did not make
any difference.) What I lost that I liked about the data table was that the
key was in the table and without the table I had to leave it with the chart
and then repeat all those labels as I presented the data table. Nonetheless
I got greater flexibility on formatting and was able to add fields that I did
not plot but that were informative; I would not have been able to do this
with a linked data table.
Dawn

Dawn Parks wrote:

I have a chart with 19 lines of data and I have been requested to print the
data table with the chart. When I add the data table so that I can read the
text (e.g., 11 or 12 pt font), I cannot see all the data table line in the
page viewer or print it all out. I can only print out all the data table
lines along with the chart if I make the font so small that it renders the
data table useless (or similarly, if I shrink the size of the size the chart
so that what I am looking at is so small you can't read the labels anymore).
In either case, when I do this I also I end up with half a "blank" page. How
can I shift the aspect/ratio of the chart or change the size of the chart
separately from the table AND how can I force Excel to let me use the entire
page of space I have available?

Jon Peltier

Dawn -

Glad to help. As I said, built in data tables have only limited flexibility. They're
great as far as they go, but a future version of Excel sure could use an enhanced
data table feature.

- Jon
-------