Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Protection

Hello There,

My macro works fine when my sheet is unprotected, but I
receive a prompt to debug when I protect the sheet. I have
unlocked the cells that have to be edited by the macro, so
I know that's not the problem. My macro changes the fill
color of some cells. When I try to run it Excel gives me
this error:

Run-time error '1004':
Unable to set the ColorIndex property of the Interior class

I am prompted to debug this line of code:
Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone

I am on Excel XP, VB6.3, and Windows 2000. I appreciate
any help.

Thnaks,
Sisilla
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try xlColorIndexNone

--
Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
"Sisilla" wrote in message
Hello There,

My macro works fine when my sheet is unprotected, but I
receive a prompt to debug when I protect the sheet. I have
unlocked the cells that have to be edited by the macro, so
I know that's not the problem. My macro changes the fill
color of some cells. When I try to run it Excel gives me
this error:

Run-time error '1004':
Unable to set the ColorIndex property of the Interior class

I am prompted to debug this line of code:
Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone

I am on Excel XP, VB6.3, and Windows 2000. I appreciate
any help.

Thnaks,
Sisilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Never Mind (Silly Me!)

I don't know why I didn't think of this before! I will set
the macro to unprotect the sheet before it is run, and
protect the sheet after it's run!

Thanks Anyway,
Sisilla

My macro works fine when my sheet is unprotected, but I
receive a prompt to debug when I protect the sheet. I

have
unlocked the cells that have to be edited by the macro,

so
I know that's not the problem. My macro changes the fill
color of some cells. When I try to run it Excel gives me
this error:

Run-time error '1004':
Unable to set the ColorIndex property of the Interior

class

I am prompted to debug this line of code:
Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone

I am on Excel XP, VB6.3, and Windows 2000. I appreciate
any help.

Thnaks,
Sisilla
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sisilla, in the interest of keeping the thread together, it is best to
simply Reply Group to the thread. In that way, the thread can be followed to
its conclusion. By starting a new thread revealing your Eureka! moment, no
one will see, by following the thread, that you have found a resolution.

All the best.

--
"Sisilla" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sisilla

Just a wee note to let you know that I have gust recently had a
very similar problem (see: Problem with using Protect when
userinterfaceonly:=True)

Although I finally found that setting a wrongly Typed variable to
the correct Type for it's use seemed to fix my problem, you may
also be interested in comments made by Bill Lonny to my post.

Incidentally, the 'fix' I made, didn't appear to have anything at
all to do with the line prompted for debug (I had exactly same
error as you).

Bill Lonny also indicated that there was a 'known issue' regarding
your (our) problem, but I know nothing as yet about that.

regards,
--
Les Hay, Livingston. Scotland
" EZ Money" wrote in message
Try xlColorIndexNone

--
"Sisilla" wrote in message
Hello There,

My macro works fine when my sheet is unprotected, but I
receive a prompt to debug when I protect the sheet. I have
unlocked the cells that have to be edited by the macro, so
I know that's not the problem. My macro changes the fill
color of some cells. When I try to run it Excel gives me
this error:

Run-time error '1004':
Unable to set the ColorIndex property of the Interior class

I am prompted to debug this line of code:
Selection.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone

I am on Excel XP, VB6.3, and Windows 2000. I appreciate
any help.

Thnaks,
Sisilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are three options to enter the fray:
1. New Post
2. Reply (to reply directly to the person who posted)
3. Reply Group (Replies to the group, just as you will see this message
along with everyone else)

When a New Post is generated, it starts a "thread", which can be recalled
and folllowed by anyone with a problem simiar to the post. When you New
Post, (such as Silly Me!), no one will ever know that (or how) the problem
originally presented was resolved.
--
Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
"Sisilla" wrote in message
What do you mean by:
simply Reply Group to the thread

?

Thanks,
Sisilla

"Sisilla" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only buttons I see are for New Post and Post Reply...
and for "Never Mind" I pushed Post Reply. Please advise.
Thanks,
Sisilla

There are three options to enter the fray:
1. New Post
2. Reply (to reply directly to the person who posted)
3. Reply Group (Replies to the group, just as you will

see this message
along with everyone else)

When a New Post is generated, it starts a "thread", which

can be recalled
and folllowed by anyone with a problem simiar to the

post. When you New
Post, (such as Silly Me!), no one will ever know that (or

how) the problem
originally presented was resolved.
--
Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
What do you mean by:

"Sisilla" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I see it in the same thread (outlook express) - I suspect you don't because
he/she changed the subject.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Sisilla" wrote in message
The only buttons I see are for New Post and Post Reply...
and for "Never Mind" I pushed Post Reply. Please advise.
Thanks,
Sisilla

There are three options to enter the fray:
1. New Post
2. Reply (to reply directly to the person who posted)
3. Reply Group (Replies to the group, just as you will

see this message
along with everyone else)

When a New Post is generated, it starts a "thread", which

can be recalled
and folllowed by anyone with a problem simiar to the

post. When you New
Post, (such as Silly Me!), no one will ever know that (or

how) the problem
originally presented was resolved.
--
Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
What do you mean by:

"Sisilla" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sisilla,

One of the beauties of the newsgroup is that all the questions and
answers are archived in Google so that others can search the archives
for answers to similar questions.
As Tom stated in his post, OE doesn't fracture the thread when he's
looking at it. I'm using Netscape 4.79 and it's intact there too.
Certain other ng readers will not keep the thread intact though.

There aren't any "rules", per se, in the ng's but there are guidelines
that will help others be able to assist you better and also help out
anyone
else posing a similar question.

If you look in Google and search on "sisilla protection", you'll see
that
the beginning of this thread has been attached at the end of another
very
long thread entitled "protection". The recommendation is to use a more
unique subject line so that this won't happen.
Something like "Protection & Color Index" might have been better.

If you search Google for "sisilla never mind", you'll see the last part
of this thread in a thread all it's own (completely disassociated from
the "protection" thread). The recommendation here is to NOT change
the original subject line.

The Google archives are IMHO, the best resource of information about
Excel that you can find anywhere (and it's being added to every day).
We can't fix how Google actually archives the threads posted here, but
knowing what it will do in certain situations, we try to nudge posters
like yourself into following some simple guidelines that will help you,
ourselves and anyone else that may search the archives in the future.

John

Sisilla wrote:

"Never Mind" collapses from "Protection" when you push the
addition sign, so I figure that everyone will know
that "Never Mind" is a reply to protection." Well, you
didn't, so I guess I was wrong.

In the future, I will not change the subject so
drastically so that people like yourself will not be
confused. I thought posting a reply was enough! Apparently
I was wrong. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks,
Sisilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In the future, I will not change the subject so
drastically so that people like yourself will not be
confused.

This isn't a "problem" with the user. It's a function of the software. I use Agent. Even though
you say you clicked on the Reply button, your message with the subject "Never Mind...." appears
as a new thread in my newsreader.

As others have said, you shouldn't change the subject in a situation like this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know what you mean, EZ. I'm looking throught the thread and it all
drills down from the original "Protection" post.

Looks like Sisilla did it correctly.

???

Randall Arnold

"Sisilla" wrote in message
The only buttons I see are for New Post and Post Reply...
and for "Never Mind" I pushed Post Reply. Please advise.
Thanks,
Sisilla

There are three options to enter the fray:
1. New Post
2. Reply (to reply directly to the person who posted)
3. Reply Group (Replies to the group, just as you will

see this message
along with everyone else)

When a New Post is generated, it starts a "thread", which

can be recalled
and folllowed by anyone with a problem simiar to the

post. When you New
Post, (such as Silly Me!), no one will ever know that (or

how) the problem
originally presented was resolved.
--
Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
What do you mean by:

"Sisilla" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default My Apologies To Myrna

My Dearest Myrna,

I never meant to imply that users had a "problem". I never
used that word. I offer my sincerest apologies if I have
offended you in any way.

I honestly did not know that the way users view this ng
varies with their software. It was never my intention to
mislead anyone. If you look at EZ Money's responses, he
chastised me for posting a new thread. He apparently does
not understand about the variations in software either!

Yours,
Sisilla

In the future, I will not change the subject so
drastically so that people like yourself will not be
confused.

This isn't a "problem" with the user. It's a function of

the software. I use Agent. Even though
you say you clicked on the Reply button, your message

with the subject "Never Mind...." appears
as a new thread in my newsreader.

As others have said, you shouldn't change the subject in

a situation like this.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As I said, that all depends on your newsreader!

"Sisilla" wrote in message
The only buttons I see are for New Post and Post Reply...
and for "Never Mind" I pushed Post Reply. Please advise.
Thanks,
Sisilla

There are three options to enter the fray:
1. New Post
2. Reply (to reply directly to the person who posted)
3. Reply Group (Replies to the group, just as you will
see this message
along with everyone else)

When a New Post is generated, it starts a "thread", which
can be recalled
and folllowed by anyone with a problem simiar to the
post. When you New
Post, (such as Silly Me!), no one will ever know that (or
how) the problem
originally presented was resolved.
--
Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
What do you mean by:

"Sisilla" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sisilla

What I don't understand is why you feel compelled to change the Subject line.
Why not just reply to the original?

You could have apologised to Myrna by replying to "Never mind(silly me!)"

Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 (who also uses Agent)