Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default FormulaArray and Formula prinicples

Hi
I have read everything I have found in MSDN after a search
on FormulaArray, but I still do not know what it is used
for. This is an example from MSDN:
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("E1:E3").FormulaArray = "=Sum
(R1C1:R3C3)"
but what is the differance between FormulaArray and
Formula:
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("E1:E3").Formula = "=Sum
(R1C1:R3C3)"
According to me they produce the same result. Can someone
explain the differnace and when I am supposed to use
FormulaArray?
Best regards
/Niklas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Niklas,

FormulaArray enters the formula as an an array formula, Formula enters the
formula as an ordinary formula

As Chip Pearson says: Array Formulas are formulas that work with arrays,
instead of individual numbers, as arguments to the functions that make up
the formula.

For information on what array formulae are and what you can use them for
check these links

http://www.emailoffice.com/excel/arrays-bobumlas.html
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.htm

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
The Excel Calculation Site
www.DecisionModels.com

"Niklas" wrote in message
Hi
I have read everything I have found in MSDN after a search
on FormulaArray, but I still do not know what it is used
for. This is an example from MSDN:
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("E1:E3").FormulaArray = "=Sum
(R1C1:R3C3)"
but what is the differance between FormulaArray and
Formula:
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("E1:E3").Formula = "=Sum
(R1C1:R3C3)"
According to me they produce the same result. Can someone
explain the differnace and when I am supposed to use
FormulaArray?
Best regards
/Niklas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try something like

Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("E1:E3").Formula = "=TRANSPOSE(F1:H1)"

and

Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("E1:E3").FormulaArray = "=TRANSPOSE(F1:H1)"

to see an illustration of the difference.

Alan Beban