Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Recommend a good book for vba for a beginner

Can anyone out there recommend a good vba excel book for beginners.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I was going to post my thoughts on this yesterday but
never got around to it. Since someone else mentioned it
I'll do it now. I am currently on page 353 of John
Walkenbach's "Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA".
Unless the 2002 book is written differently, I would not
recommend it for absolute beginners. The 2000 book is NOT
for beginners, and John states this on page X of the
preface. At half way through the book as a beginner myself
I would agree. He recommends the Dummies book and the
Excel 2000 bible (written by John himself). Hope this
helps.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If one has never programmed, that may be true. If one has programmed in
some other language, it is certainly appropriate for a "beginner/absolute
beginner" to Excel VBA. I guess it depends on what you mean by
beginner/absolute beginner. If one is not familiar with Excel as an
application, that would certainly be recommended before trying to program
it. If one is looking for a tutorial, then I would recommend Reed
Jacobsens step by step books on Excel VBA from MS press

My personal experience was with the book for version 5, but I assume they
are still suitable. The Excel 2000 book had a different style name:
Microsoft Excel 2000 Visual Basic for Applications: Fundamentals

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

.