Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default RS232 to Excel

How do I write and receive data from RS232? Does XP cause any problems in
this?

--
John Gittins
Production Engineer

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is some information previously posted by others in response to similar
questions.

The best way to do it is to use the MSComm control that comes with Visual
Basic. If you want to see how this works, load and single step through the
VBTerm sample that comes with it (should be in the \samples subdirectory; if
not, I think you can download it from Microsoft's Visual Basic site).

One important note, though, is that you must know the syntax of the commands
to your meter (or other device), as sent via RS-232. Once you know those
you can simply modify the VBTerm code to suit your own purposes. It's
complex at first, but stick with it!

"Poor Man's Serial Instant Messenger"
http://www.htservices.com/Tools/Visu...unications.htm
Visual Basic Serial Communications Example Tutorials Source Code Programs

http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/t...s/SerialIO.htm
Serial I/O (RS232)

http://www.allapi.net/vbexamples/lis...ategory=SOURCE

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"John Gittins" wrote in message
How do I write and receive data from RS232? Does XP cause any problems in
this?

--
John Gittins
Production Engineer
SRC Automotive
4431 West Calhoun
Springfield
MO 65810
Phone 417 829 2411
Fax 417 829 2427

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you are looking for a good tool to do serial communications
directly from within Excel, I would recommend that you look at a
product called WinWedge at the following URL:
http://www.taltech.com/TALtech_web/p.../winwedge.html

WinWedge is designed to make it easy to both send and receive serial
data direclty from within any other Windows program including Excel
and it requires little or no programming at all.