Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Code to Hunt Linked Cells

This is an ongoing thread that I have updated (changed my
idea...).

Want to put code in my "Personal Macro Workbook", attach
it to a menu button: when user clicks the button, all
cells in the active worksheet having links to other cells
(wherever located) are highlighted. An alternative could
be to make a list. If the cell already has a background
color, could the background color be restored upon
clicking the same button, or a second button. If not, can
exit without a save.

The objective is to know where all links are at a single
glance - with the click of a menu button.

Any suggestions to do this more effectively is appreciated.

Thanks, Phil
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I use some code to just search all cells within the workbook for something I
know is going to be present in a pathname used in such a link. E.g. G:\ or
something similar. Problem with doing any formatting to a cell is
restoration of the previous format. How and where do you preserve it? If
you know in advance all cells have a white backgorund or whatever that's
fine.

I've used cell comments for this kind of thing in the past. This way you
get a nice unobtrusive indicator which you can then hover your mouse over to
get a detailed description. Again it falls victim to the preservation
issue.

The link finder I wrote just lists the entries to a listbox on a form.
Patching the change event of the listbox with something which selects the
cell will give you a nice way to jump through the entries.

Anyway hope it gives you some ideas.

Bill Lunney
www.billlunney.com

"Phil Hageman" wrote in message
This is an ongoing thread that I have updated (changed my
idea...).

Want to put code in my "Personal Macro Workbook", attach
it to a menu button: when user clicks the button, all
cells in the active worksheet having links to other cells
(wherever located) are highlighted. An alternative could
be to make a list. If the cell already has a background
color, could the background color be restored upon
clicking the same button, or a second button. If not, can
exit without a save.

The objective is to know where all links are at a single
glance - with the click of a menu button.

Any suggestions to do this more effectively is appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Abdul, this works great - thanks. You mention press "Find
All." I'm using Excel 2000. This option does not show in
the "Find" dialog box. Is there something else I can do
not have to "Find Next"?
EditFind and in findWhat box type ! and press Find All
will give you a list of all linked cell reference

Abdul Salam

This is an ongoing thread that I have updated (changed

my
idea...).

Want to put code in my "Personal Macro Workbook", attach
it to a menu button: when user clicks the button, all
cells in the active worksheet having links to other

cells
(wherever located) are highlighted. An alternative

could
be to make a list. If the cell already has a background
color, could the background color be restored upon
clicking the same button, or a second button. If not,

can
exit without a save.

The objective is to know where all links are at a single
glance - with the click of a menu button.

Any suggestions to do this more effectively is

appreciated.

Thanks, Phil
.

.