Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default 5.6 Scripting

Hello,,,, :)

And, first---- Thanks your for your Time, Help, and Advise.

I appologize if I have posted this situation previously to
this newsgroup. I loked with a SEARCH and could not find
any but I may not have searched good enough.

This situation has been presented to the Scripting news
group but I was hoping the following has been experienced
in this newsgroup with a solution.

In this area many users cannot upgrade from W95 for many
valid reasons and they wish to use the Scripting 5.6 from
Microsoft (scr56en.exe). For a test situation a W95
machine with the Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 was
the beginning. Scripting 5.1 was installed from the
delivery of IE 5.5 SP 2. IE 5.5 SP2 and Scripting 5.1
works as expected and is registered as reported with no
decrepencies related to DEPENDS.EXE using the 5.1
WSHOM.OCX.

The FAQs define that Scripting 5.6 will deliver to a W95
System. Also, other tables from TECHNET and MSDN Scripting
areas show the things (Methods, etc.) that are
immplemented in 5.6 and for which versions of systems
(W95,W98,NT, 2000, etc.). And all is understood.

The situation from a download and execution of scr56en.exe
will not get past the registration using the WSHOM.OCX.
The following occurs during execution of scr56en.exe:

o All files (DLLs, EXE, etc.) are delivered
as expected for 5.6
o When the execution of scr56en.exe starts to register
Scripting using the WSHOM.OCX the following error
occurs:

"Error registering the OCX c:\windows\system\wshom.ocx"

An immediate reboot produces the following:

|-----------------------------------------|
|"Windows Update" |
|-----------------------------------------|
|"An error occurred loading: |
| "c:\windows\system\wshom.ocx" |
|"The file may not have been installed or |
|it has been corrupted." |
|-----------------------------------------|

Using regsvr32.exe to try and make the wshom.ocx reset the
registry file produced the following:

1. Running regsvr32.exe c:/windows/system/wshom.ocx
produced the following:

Load Library["c:\windows\system\wshom.ocx"] failed
GetLastError returns 0x0000001f

2. Running regsvr32.exe -r wshom.ocx produced the same
error as in 1 above.

Based on the Error 0x0000001f a ConrolPanel/System reports
no device errors.

Using the new 5.6 WSHOM.OCX to un-register does not
succesfully un-register the Scripting.

However, using the older 5.1 WSHOM.OCX to un-register
Scripting does the un-register properly and removes all
related Scripting files.

With the registry clean from Scripting and Scripting files
removed even a re-execution of scr56en.exe produces the
same results as above.

As mentioned in other discussions the use of scr56en.exe
on a W95 machine has been successful.

If anyone has seen this situation it would be GREAT to
understand what I am not doing that I need to do.

AND, Thanks for your Time, Help, and Advise.

Jerry