Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Strange problem - extremely slow application.

Beginning yesterday, everything I do in Excel takes forever -- or the
application stops entirely. VBA modules still run normally (fast), but
every macro and everything I do directly takes a very long time.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Office 2000 in an attempt to
correct the problem -- no success.

No changes were made to applications. And the same application runs
normally on another computer.

(Macros turn off screen updating and autocalculation).

Any ideas what could cause this system to behave so strangely?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try cleaning up your windows temp folder.

And you may be able to find some more info at Charles Williams' site:
http://www.decisionmodels.com

And David McRitchie has some notes at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks. None of that helps (I had recently cleaned temp files, etc.).
This is something that suddenly happened. That is, the application was
functioning fine. Next time I ran the application, very slow. Whatever
has happened is likely to be some setting that has changed, because the
system is running OK and the Workbook has not been changed.

Can anything leave the system in a state of Autocalculation that can't
be turned off? The system responds in a manner consistent with behavior
when autocalculation is left on during macro execution. Macros are
preceeded with Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual and ended
with Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic, but I wonder if
something could prevent changing the setting ...

Jerry Park wrote:

Beginning yesterday, everything I do in Excel takes forever -- or the
application stops entirely. VBA modules still run normally (fast), but
every macro and everything I do directly takes a very long time.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Office 2000 in an attempt to
correct the problem -- no success.

No changes were made to applications. And the same application runs
normally on another computer.

(Macros turn off screen updating and autocalculation).

Any ideas what could cause this system to behave so strangely?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Strange problem - Found It!

Thanks for your help. Discovered the problem. Printer driver. Deleted
all printers and added back a new printer. Problem gone.

Apparently, every program which needed to connect to the printer (Word,
WordPad, Excel, etc.) was being damaged somehow by the attempt to
connect to the printer (even if it was not being asked to print).

Jerry Park wrote:
Thanks. Still don't know what the problem is. I'm sorting lines, but not
adding or deleting (adding or deleting a line would mess up my macros
and vba routines).

I'm also getting fatal run time errors (which are not related to coding
problems). Something weird has happened to the system -- just don't know
what.

Dave Peterson wrote:

If you're running macros that delete/add rows/columns, then something
like this at the top of your module may speed it up:

ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = False

If you've done a print/print preview, then excel shows you where the
pages would be. When you run a macro that deletes/adds a lot of
lines, excel wants to redetermine where these dashed lines should
appear.

If you turn them off, excel is quicker.

If your macro does a print setup, make sure that you only change the
properties that you need to. Printsetup is very slow, too.

In fact, if you determine that it is the printer setup that's slowing
things down, you may want to revert to the older macro (version 4)
commands.

Here's a link to a thread that shows an example:
http://google.com/groups?threadm=uBO...GP12.phx. gbl

And make sure you use
application.screenupdating = false
at the beginning of your code.