Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel changes file modified date when opening my add-in

Stephen,

I think this is a Windows feature not Excel.

Why don't they detect? If they open the newer one, problem solved? If they
don't, the date is not modified? Don't quite see the problem.

--
HTH

-------

Bob Phillips

"Stephen K." wrote in message
I have an Excel add-in that runs from the users PC and
checks a network location for a newer version of itself
each time it runs. If the network version's file modified
date is newer, it calls a batch file to replace itself.
The problem is, as I was testing it, I realized Excel
changes the file modified date of my add-in when it is
loaded and then changes it back as soon as Excel is closed
and the add-in is unloaded. Thus, when I put a newer
version on the network, no one's PC versions will detect
it as newer. All I found in the kb was #245420 and it
doesn't give me a workaround. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Put a shortcut to the central addin in the users addin folder.
That way the central addin is always loaded and you dont have to worry
about swapping versions.

If you need to set users' preferences between uses of the addin use the
registry, not fields in the addin.

keepITcool