Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default enormous file size - VLOOKUP function?

I have an Excel 2000 spreadsheet that uses VLOOKUP to
equate text values (a drop down validation list) with
numeric values (to calculate a score). The workbook has 5
tabs but none of the spreadsheets are especially large.
Each row has 3 VLOOKUP instances. But the file size is
13Mb. My PC can barely process the file it's getting so
big.

is there something about data validations, or VLOOKUP that
causes a spreadsheet file to grow very large?

I am not using any VBA functions, and I ensured that no
Macros exist. All I'm using are data validations, VLOOKUP
and some simple calculations based on the results of the
lookup.

Any hints on what is causing the huge file size and what I
might do to minimize it?
Thanks, Walt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Walt,

Go to each of the sheets and press the Ctrl + End key to see
where Excel "thinks" the last cell is. Might be that you formatted
some cells below (or to the right) of your usable data that isn't
necessary.
If you do have many unnecessary extra rows or columns, take
a look here for ways to correct it.

John

"Walt F." wrote:

I have an Excel 2000 spreadsheet that uses VLOOKUP to
equate text values (a drop down validation list) with
numeric values (to calculate a score). The workbook has 5
tabs but none of the spreadsheets are especially large.
Each row has 3 VLOOKUP instances. But the file size is
13Mb. My PC can barely process the file it's getting so
big.

is there something about data validations, or VLOOKUP that
causes a spreadsheet file to grow very large?

I am not using any VBA functions, and I ensured that no
Macros exist. All I'm using are data validations, VLOOKUP
and some simple calculations based on the results of the
lookup.

Any hints on what is causing the huge file size and what I
might do to minimize it?
Thanks, Walt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks a million, John. Formatting WAS the problem. All better now.