Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need HELP to modify code (need more automation)

I have this code that works, it looks in column A for the number you enter
and puts today's date in column F when it finds a match, I would like to
replace the input box so it will look at a range of numbers, in a different
workbook, and use them instead, I am not sure this can be done but from some
of the things I have seen on this newsgroup I would bet that it can be :) ,
if anybody would like to help on this here are the details.
Using excel 97 and 2000, the workbook that will have the date put in it is
named
work orders 2003.xls and the VBA sheet name is sheet1, the worksheet tab
name is workorders, the name of the workbook that has the numbers I want to
use is Daily Labor Summary.xls and there are two sheets I need to get
numbers from, the VBA sheet names are sheet1 and sheet11, the worksheet tab
names are page 1 and page 2, the range on both of the sheets are the same,
range G29:AD29, this range will have some blank cells without numbers in
them. The macro will be ran from the daily labor summary workbook and both
workbooks will be open, but it would be nice to have some kind of error trap
if the work orders 2003 workbook is not open. If anymore information is
needed I will be more than happy to provide it.
Thanks in advance to all that help, Paul B

Sub Close_workorder()
'puts todays date in Date Completed, column F, for the work order number
you enter
'shortcut ctrl q
Sheets("workorders").Select
Dim searchvalue, Message, Title, Default
Dim c
Do
Message = "What workorder number do you want to close?" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Close Open Work Orders" ' Set title.
Default = "" ' Set default.
' Display message, title, and default value.
searchvalue = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
If searchvalue = "" Then
Exit Sub
End If
With Range("A2:A2500")
Set c = .Find(What:=searchvalue, LookAt:=xlWhole, LookIn:=xlValues)
If c Is Nothing Then
MsgBox ("Check Workorder # " & searchvalue), vbInformation, "Match Not
Found"
Else
Range(c.Address).Offset(0, 5).FormulaR1C1 = Date
End If
End With
Loop While searchvalue < ""

Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Paul,

Why not just open the other workbook, store the values in an array, and then
just amend the search code to loop through the array, circa

For i = LBound(myArray,1) To UBound(myArray,1)
With Range("A2:A2500")
Set c = .Find(What:=myArray(i), LookAt:=xlWhole,
LookIn:=xlValues)
If c Is Nothing Then
MsgBox ("Check Workorder # " & searchvalue), vbInformation,
"Match Not Found "
Else
Range(c.Address).Offset(0, 5).FormulaR1C1 = Date
Exit For
End If
End With

You seem to have enough knowledge to do the rest and build on this yourself.
It's not hard.

--
HTH

-------

Bob Phillips

,
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob, that sounds good and thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have
never used and array like this, I am still struggling with VBA so if you don
't mine could you walk me though it? I try to answer the questions I can on
some of the newsgroups but it amazes me how fast some of the people here can
come up with answers to questions that now takes me hours to do, if at all,
but I learn something new every week so I guess I am improving, Thanks.
Paul B

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97

"Paul B" wrote in message
I have this code that works, it looks in column A for the number you

enter
and puts today's date in column F when it finds a match, I would like

replace the input box so it will look at a range of numbers, in a

different
workbook, and use them instead, I am not sure this can be done but from

some
of the things I have seen on this newsgroup I would bet that it can be

:)
,
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob you said "It's not hard", looks like a lot to me :), when I put the
code in the lines below were like this, SearchWorkOrders Workbooks("work
orders
2003.xls").Worksheets("workorders"), aryWorkOrders
hope it shows up right, the lines were red so I put it all on one line, with
a space between orders and 2003, when I ran the close_workorder code I got
run time error 9 subscript out of range and the line AddToArray
oWbLabor.Worksheets("Page1"), aryWorkOrders highlighted. Any ideas? Thanks

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Paul,

Here is a solution, I hope I have interpreted it correctly.

I have broken the code up into modules, so I hope it is easy to follow.

Just
fire back if you have any questions.

I have broken the lines up as best I could but watch for wrap-around.

Option Explicit

Dim iWorkOrders As Long

Sub Close_workorder()
'puts todays date in Date Completed, column F,
'for the work order number you enter
'shortcut ctrl q
Const Message As String = "What workorder number do you want to close?"
Const Title As String = "Close Open Work Orders"
Const Default As String = ""
Dim oWbLabor As Workbook
Dim oWsWorkorders As Worksheet
Dim aryWorkOrders()

iWorkOrders = 0
On Error Resume Next
Set oWbLabor = Workbooks("Daily Labor Summary.xls")
If oWbLabor Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Daily Labor Summary workbook is not open", vbCritical
Else
On Error GoTo 0
AddToArray oWbLabor.Worksheets("Page1"), aryWorkOrders
AddToArray oWbLabor.Worksheets("Page2"), aryWorkOrders
SearchWorkOrders Workbooks("work orders
2003.xls").Worksheets("workorders"), aryWorkOrders

Private Sub SearchWorkOrders(oWsWorkorders As Worksheet, source)
Dim c As Range
Dim iWorkOrders As Long
With oWsWorkorders
With .Range("A2:A2500")
For iWorkOrders = LBound(source) To _
UBound(source)
Set c = .Find(What:=source(iWorkOrders), _
LookAt:=xlWhole, _
LookIn:=xlValues)
If c Is Nothing Then
MsgBox ("Check Workorder #" & source(iWorkOrders)), _
vbInformation, _
"Match Not Found "
Else
oWsWorkorders.Range(c.Address).Offset(0, 5).Value =

Date
End If
Next iWorkOrders
End With
End With
End Sub

Private Sub AddToArray(ByVal source As Worksheet, ByRef target)
Dim c As Range
For Each c In source.Range("G29:AD29")
If Not IsEmpty(c) Then
ReDim Preserve target(iWorkOrders)
target(iWorkOrders) = c.Value
iWorkOrders = iWorkOrders + 1
End If
Next c

HTH

-------

Bob Phillips

"Paul B" wrote in message
[...]

Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit

from
it

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Paul,

First problem is wrap-around, second is me slightly mis-reading the post. I
used sheet names of Page1 and Page2 whereas I think from your post that you
have a space included. Try this version

_

"Paul B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob, that works just like I need, thanks very much, I did not spot the lack
of the space in the worksheet name but you were right there was a space in
it, after some thinking I modified it some to take care of the sheet
changing names next year and also added a date for the labor sheet so it can
be saved each day, the code I used was this, don't know if it's the best way
but it works :) , is this a good way to reference the day and year or is
there a better way?
For the labor sheet
Const DATEFORMAT As String = "mm.dd.yyyy"
Set oWbLabor = Workbooks("Daily Labor For " & Format(Now, DATEFORMAT) &
".xls")
And for the work orders sheet
SearchWorkOrders Workbooks("work orders " & Year(Date) & ".xls") _

Now if I can just decipher HOW your code works :). Thanks again Paul B

--

=

"Paul B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Paul B" wrote in message
Bob, that works just like I need, thanks very much,

That's great, I am pleased.

I did not spot the lack
of the space in the worksheet name but you were right there was a space in
it, after some thinking I modified it some to take care of the sheet
changing names next year and also added a date for the labor sheet so it

can
be saved each day, the code I used was this, don't know if it's the best

way
but it works :) , is this a good way to reference the day and year or is
there a better way?
For the labor sheet
Const DATEFORMAT As String = "mm.dd.yyyy"
Set oWbLabor = Workbooks("Daily Labor For " & Format(Now, DATEFORMAT)

&
".xls")

That's exactly how I would do it Paul (and I like the use of a
constant<vbg)

Now if I can just decipher HOW your code works :). Thanks again Paul B

There is nothing cunning or particularly clever there, it is just highly
structured code (cough, cough, splutter !"£$%^^), and I have seen many of
your posting replies so I don't think you will have any trouble. Just sit
down when you have a quiet period with a nice stiff gin martini (one glass
full of gin, vermouth in the same room but not the same glass, preferably
Bombay Sapphire or Plymouth gin), or a margarita,, or whatever your poison
is, and work your way slowly through it. The alcohol won't help at all, but
it will be enjoyable.

And by the way, I have XL97 and XL2000 (even got XP now) on my home desktop
machine so I have tried it with 97 as well as with 2000. Only a fairly
cursory test, but I didn't see any problems. There is no XL2000 specific
code that I am aware of (not ever sure what is XL2000 specific, SPLIT maybe
but not much), so I didn't anticipate it being a problem and I don't think
it is.

Anyway, see you around some more.

Best Regards

Bob