Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default combining sumproduct and average

If you are comparing the average of B3:B7 to the Average of B2:B6, then you
are really only comparing B7 to B2.

=Sumproduct((B7:G7B2:G2)*1) should give you the count you want.

if I have 1 2 3 4 5 6 in B2:B7, then the average for B3 to B7 is (6 + 5 +
4 + 3 + 2)/5 and for B2 to B6 is (5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1)/5

the (5 + 4 + 3 + 2)/5 is common to both, so the comparison resolves to is
6/5 1/5 or just is 6 1

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Robert Pettit" wrote in message
Sorry Im not explaining this at all well, Say I have spread sheet like
this:
Worksheet 1
A B C E F G H I
1 NAME1 NAME2 NAME3 ETC ETC ETC
2 1/1/03 1 1 1 1 1 1
3 2/1/03 1 1 1 1 1 1
4 3/1/03 1 1 1 1 1 1
5 4/1/03 1 1 1 1 1 1
6 5/1/03 1 1 1 1 1 1 (F)
7 ETC 1 1 1 1 1 1 (F)
8 ETC 1 1 1 1 1 1 (F)
9 ETC 1 1 1 1 1 1 (F)
10 ETC 1 1 1 1 1 1 (F)

Worksheet 2

A B C E F G H I
1 NAME1 NAME2 NAME3 ETC ETC ETC
2 1/1/03 Below are averages of each column in
3 2/1/03 Worksheet 1
4 3/1/03
5 4/1/03 Ave Ave Ave Ave Ave Ave
6 5/1/03 Ave 1 1 1 1 1 (F2)
7 ETC 1 1 1 1 1 1 (F2)
8 ETC 1 1 1 1 1 1 (F2)
9 ETC 1 1 1 1 1 1 (F2)
10 ETC 1 1 1 1 1 1 (F2)

Worksheet1 would be my original data and (F) = formula
=Sumproduct((b6:h6b6:h6)*1). Telling me how many on the 5/1/03 are
greater than 4/1/03. This is ok but what I actually want is averages.
on Worksheet2 I use =average(b2:b6) of worksheet1 in b5,
=average(c2:c6) in c5, I average e2:e6, f2:f6, g2:g6 and h2:h6 in d5,
e5, f5, h5, g5 of the other worksheets. That gives me one row of data
the I move down to b6 and average b3:b7 etc. Then I use sumproduct at
the end of the row (F2). What I trying to do is avoid using another
worksheet and enter a formula at (F) which will Average each column and
then count how many are greater than the day before. I guess it wuld
have to be a long formula because it needs to average say b2:b6 then
b3:b7 compare second average with first then move to next column and
repeat.
I use alot more data than above spread over 5 worksheets so Id have to
add another 5 worksheets to do it my way. Again thankyou for any help
Regards Robert