Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default rate formula

If I invest $200,000
And end up with $250,000
I've recieved a 25% rate of return(This is easy on
calculator)

If I know the beginning dollar value, and the ending
dollar value, what formula could I use to calculate this
25% ROR?

Thanks a lot. Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default I think I got it

I've recieved a 25% rate of return(This is easy on
calculator)

If I know the beginning dollar value, and the ending
dollar value, what formula could I use to calculate this
25% ROR?

Thanks a lot. Scott
.
I just ended up dividing the equity by the original

investment. I think this should be OK. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=(250000-200000)/200000

=(end-start)/start

format as %

will provide the percentage you describe.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"scott" wrote in message
If I invest $200,000
And end up with $250,000
I've recieved a 25% rate of return(This is easy on
calculator)

If I know the beginning dollar value, and the ending
dollar value, what formula could I use to calculate this
25% ROR?

Thanks a lot. Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Scott,

rate=(250-200)/200
obviously you can reference cells for initial investment
and ending value. If your dealing with multi year
investments and want the annual return you could divide
the results of rate by the number of periods
annualrate= ((250-200)/200)/(# of years)

I've recieved a 25% rate of return(This is easy on
calculator)

If I know the beginning dollar value, and the ending
dollar value, what formula could I use to calculate this
25% ROR?

Thanks a lot. Scott
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For something "simple" like your example, perhaps the following idea...

=IRR({-200000,250000})

returns 25%

(Not array entered)
--