Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Switching to other apps while running macros in excel 97

Good excuse to get a cup of coffee, eh Dave?

Dave Peterson wrote:
If the doevents stuff doesn't work, I have a couple of time consuming macros at
work. When I run those, I stay away from the mouse and keyboard. I started
them in xl97, but use xl2k now.

But (for me), it's worth the 5-20 minutes to stay away.

Mike Obertik wrote:

I have written a macro in excel 97 that takes quite a while to run
because it opens up another excel file, reads info from a server, then
creates an excel file, transfers settings from the original file to the
new file and then saves the new file.

The macro runs perfectly, except when I switch to other applications
(such as Internet Explorer or Lotus Notes) while it is running.

I have found that a minute or two after I have switched away from excel
and left the macro running, it sometimes crashes.

Another problem is that the macro sometimes seems to hang when I switch
to other apps instead of running through all the code timeously. It will
start running normally as soon as I switch back to Excel

Are these common problems with Excel 97?
Are there certain commands or calls I should avoid?
Is there a trick to making a macro run smoothly when switching to other
apps?

Regards
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And I can tell others that I'm hard at work, too. (I _did_ click the button
before I got up, didn't I?)

--

Dave Peterson