Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cell Formatting

I am looking for a way to get excel to recognize the
number system used in my company's software. Lengths are
written as 27-2, 15-0, 6-8 with the first number being
feet, and the second number being inches. I need to be
able to add up all the lengths in excel. When I try to
import the length information from my software, excel
reads them as dates of some sort, and adds up the serial
numbers that stand for each date. What I need is for 27
ft. 2 in., or 27-2 to register as 27.166. I dont know
how to format the cells so that they will read that.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try to set number format to Custom, with: # ??/12

this is not what you want, because 27.166666
will be seen as: 27 2/12

but is close to the one you want.

Francisco Mariscal

.