Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Validation ?

Got a Question
I have got 12 columns and 160 rows
I need to use an input box in each cell so you will know what cell your in,
know here's the trick
I know that I can use validation to do this by copying and doing a paste
special, BUT how do you get the contents of the message to grow by one
Example
if A1 had validation and it read
"Truck 1"
"Enter Gallons"
how could you get it to change to
"Truck 2"
"Enter Gallons" in A2 ;and so on
This one is a little tricky for me

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Using a Table
If you used a table your not going to know what column your in when you get
further down in the sheet,(unless your talking about something else that I
am not aware of)

What kinda input box are you refering to.
It needs to pop up automaticlly so everbody wont be sitting down for 2 hours
entering data,
its purpose in life is to make me miserable, but to make data entry faster

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could freeze the headings, so they will remain visible as you scroll
through the worksheet. For example, if your headings are in row 1 and
column A, select cell B2, and choose WindowFreeze Panes.

This will freeze the cells above, and to the left of the selected cell.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

David,

You could use an "event macro".

Copy and paste the below macro into the module for your entry worksheet.
I have made the assumption that row 1 contains the type of vehicle.
If this is incorrect - you can set hdr = "xxxx"

You could also use the same idea in a standard macro module and
use a loop to add validation to all the cells.

hth...

steve

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
Dim hdr As String, x As Long
'
hdr = Cells(1, Target.Column)
x = Target.Row
If Len(hdr) 0 Then
With Selection.Validation
.Add Type:=xlValidateInputOnly, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop,
Operator _
:=xlBetween
.IgnoreBlank = True
.InCellDropdown = True
.InputTitle = ""
.ErrorTitle = ""
.InputMessage = hdr & " " & x & Chr(10) & "Enter Gallons"
.ErrorMessage = ""
.ShowInput = True
.ShowError = True
End With